hunter123

Euro nymphing tomorrow

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm heading to my favorite trout stream tomorrow, I need a lot of practice with the Euro rod. I'll hit the fly shop first to get some heavier Euro nymphs. Man I can't walt.I'll let you know how I do.

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

I'm heading to my favorite trout stream tomorrow, I need a lot of practice with the Euro rod. I'll hit the fly shop first to get some heavier Euro nymphs. Man I can't walt.I'll let you know how I do.

For an anchor fly I usually will go with a weighted “regular” nymph like a pheasant tail, hares ear, copper john. 

Put a smaller fly on a dropper 18 inches up or so. 

If the water is up I will put the heavy fly on the dropper and the lighter fly on point with the thought that the heavy fly will drag the whole rig deeper. 

Good luck, it is a fun and very effective way to fish. 

Keep us posted , not sure where you are located my plan is tomorrow also but it’s very warm outside tonight and a pretty big storm is coming up the east coast . I’ll check the CFS in the morning when I wake up . Tight lines 

24 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I'll be on the Gun Powder in MD. 

Lower Hudson Valley NY heavy rain last night &  wind , at 6am CFS has tripled and the level is 2x since yesterday , going to give it till noon to come down  , not sure yet . 

Just got back, Day was nice, then got windy. Got skunked, but by the end of 2 hrs of fishing, I was starting to cast the Euro rod better. So the day wasn't a waste. But man I forgot my Polerized glasses and couldn't see the bottom from the glare. Tight lines.

7 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Just got back, Day was nice, then got windy. Got skunked, but by the end of 2 hrs of fishing, I was starting to cast the Euro rod better. So the day wasn't a waste. But man I forgot my Polerized glasses and couldn't see the bottom from the glare. Tight lines.

Wind is the toughest thing to deal with when high stick nymphing, you need to add a bobber or indicator of your choice and lay the line down flat. it still works.

11 mins ago, Kml said:

Wind is the toughest thing to deal with when high stick nymphing, you need to add a bobber or indicator of your choice and lay the line down flat. it still works.

Keep as little line out of the rod tip as possible, go slightly heavier on nymphs as well.  No need for an indicator.  I’d rather use a dry dropper method over an indicator as well.

I believe high sticking is just the technique that is used, euro nymphing itself is more granular than that- the leaders are built a specific way (with a sighter to detect odd movements during a drift) and there is almost always an anchor fly bouncing on the bottom. 

4 hours ago, Fflyakk said:

Can you euro nymph with a regular flyrod and longer a longer leader with an indicator line built in the leader. ( like amnesia). 

Yes you can. Note that French and Spanish leaders are typically two Rod lengths can be more. But they are made of low diameter mono so casting them is limited by wind and weight of your nymphs.

Shorter rods like 8’ 6 inches and 9’ can do the job but no where near as effectively than an 11 footer or ten footer.  Nymphing rods tend to be in the 2 to 3 wt line class.

Mike