NFC fly rod blank prep

Rate this topic

surfrat59

1 hour ago, spoonplugger1 said:

If it was a problem would the Edge and Scott rods be wrapped on unfinished blanks. My Dan Craft Sig V 10 wt. I built 15+ years ago is that way, it's really nothing new, or a problem.

Unsanded might not have been the best description. The sections are a continual tight spiraled hoop, you can run your thumbnail the length and feel the grooves...up to the ferrules where it's turned smooth. I could see A thread following the grooves and not packing tightly. Guess I'll test wrap with a bright thread and see how it works out before sanding.

I'm not a fan of un-sanded ie ridged blanks either.I think the sales schpiel of stronger blanks  is balls.

Design the blank to be sanded back by the 5 or so microns it takes toget a smooth to the touch blank

Crappy eyes dont help me even with my 2.5 diopter OAP glasses

I have recently discovered the advantages of a headlamp when I wrap....

Try C thread

23 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

NFC LMX 908-4 fly rod blank comes unsanded, seems a little too textured for a clean guide wrap. Mark guide locations and desired length of each wrap then sand the areas to be wrapped...or leave as is.

I'm currently building another NFC rods that is similar ( the Delta line is all un sanded ) and its got ridges like discribed 

Haven't had any problems with line not packing tightly, as long as I've been paying attention while wrapping and packing the thread every 10-20 wraps if needed

PXL_20211209_233500200.jpg

32 mins ago, GrahamN said:

I'm currently building another NFC rods that is similar ( the Delta line is all un sanded ) and its got ridges like discribed 

Haven't had any problems with line not packing tightly, as long as I've been paying attention while wrapping and packing the thread every 10-20 wraps if needed

PXL_20211209_233500200.jpg

Graham what dia thread are you using...I always use A thread for fly guides. I taped my guides on to try spacing and a little lawn casting, Was going to mark off wrap sizes for each guide before removing them and sand just the wrap areas. Hoop ridges are noticeable though, don't know if it will sand easily...maybe I'll sand a spot under the reel seat  and see what's involved. Thanks....

1 min ago, surfrat59 said:

Graham what dia thread are you using...I always use A thread for fly guides. I taped my guides on to try spacing and a little lawn casting, Was going to mark off wrap sizes for each guide before removing them and sand just the wrap areas. Hoop ridges are noticeable though, don't know if it will sand easily...maybe I'll sand a spot under the reel seat  and see what's involved. Thanks....

That's all size A prowrap colorfast 

I considered trying to sand before wrapping but tried wrapping first and it came out okay so I just kept going 

This is the worst of them so far. Can see a bit of spacing on the lighter color but I suspect with a bit of burnishing it will tighten up and look  fine especially after thread sealer 

I do have 2 other NFC higher end blanks and they're both sanded/polished nice and smooth

PXL_20211210_222825396.jpg

20 mins ago, GrahamN said:

That's all size A prowrap colorfast 

I considered trying to sand before wrapping but tried wrapping first and it came out okay so I just kept going 

This is the worst of them so far. Can see a bit of spacing on the lighter color but I suspect with a bit of burnishing it will tighten up and look  fine especially after thread sealer 

I do have 2 other NFC higher end blanks and they're both sanded/polished nice and smooth

PXL_20211210_222825396.jpg

Thanks Graham. Guess I'll test wrap one in a light color before sanding....

• 4 months later...

I have built multiple NFC rods without any addition prep and I’ve have no issues. I’ve built fly rods, big swimbait rods, and normal conventional rods as well. I’d let it ride as is. I’d be worried about scoring or damaging the blank. 

thats just my 2 cents