FlukeOff

Rod Recommendation

9 posts in this topic

Hi All -

Hoping some of you can point me in the right direction. I fish the salt 99% of the time but do some trout fishing every now and then as it's convenient and I grew up doing this type of fishing. I currently have a St Croix Premier 7' UL. It works great for bouncing worms or eggs off the bottom in rivers/streams. I went recently and started throwing some rapalas and other small (2-3") swimmers but missed every single hit. I think the rod is just too soft to set the hook. Can anyone point me to a rod or rod rating that will have more back bone to drive home a hook set but also versatile enough to throw a meal worm and a split shot? I see the Premier series offers a ML and also a M but not sure which one would be best. Also open to other rods as well.

Thanks!

Fluke

Edited by FlukeOff

I have a few premier rods. I think the 6’6 ml rod would be great for what you’re looking for. I throw small finesse plastics and rapalas on that rod mostly for bass. The m action rod would be overkill for trout. 

The exact rod I have is the Premier PS66MLF and it’s a great rod. Love how those premiers cast. That rod will load up really well with those rapalas you want to throw and the tip is light enough for split shots. 

I just picked up a  walleye

Legend LTW63MLXF 1/16-3/8 oz 6’-3” rod.  Really sweet set up for trout from shore.  Casts those light jerk baits a mile  and sets the hook great

I have a st croix panfish series and recently bought a premier 6’ light and have a vanford 1000 on it. I haven’t had the premier long but that combo is really lite and fishes really well 

4 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

The exact rod I have is the Premier PS66MLF and it’s a great rod. Love how those premiers cast. That rod will load up really well with those rapalas you want to throw and the tip is light enough for split shots. 

Premier is an excellent rod.  I have the 60ULF.  Also have the 610MLXF Mojo Bass, which works great for trout as well.  Also 86MLMF Okuma SST.  Not noodly at all.  No problems with hookups from any.  With the SST, I just need to be ready...

To OP:  Is your 7' moderate or fast?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Really appreciate it. 

@WindAndWater sounds like the ML is exactly what i'm looking for. If it can drive home a rapala on a LMB then a trout should be easy work!

@Skunkoff St Croix rates my 7' as fast but it certainly fishes more moderate. I must have had around a dozen solid hits and didn't land one fish. Had one on for around 5 or 6 seconds but most came undone in the first 2 or 3 seconds. I finally just went back to bouncing meal worms (and back to catching.)