foxfai

When a mantis shrimp hits a human

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Those things are crazy.  There is another video on YouTube of a guy feeding aamtis a giant crawfish.  The commentary is a bit much, bit the video is interesting to say the least.

I am curious - what did you do with it? Are they edible?

I used to plug the surf in the summertime wearing dungarees and surfer booties.  I went to push a Sea Robin back into the wash with my foot, and one of "arms" that they have in front of their fins punched right thru and hit the bone of the big toe on my right foot.  Then one day I was fishing with the late Bob McGinley and a crab on my bucktail closed his pincer on my right pointer finger until the pincers met.  Fortunately, he missed the bone. The only way he let go was when Bob snapped of his other arm.  My doctor's PA could not stop laughing.

Anti-Biotics anyone?

Edited by FlatWing

There is a YTube video of one breaking open a hardshell Cherrystone clam. Unbelievable! My daughter caught one off the pier down here a bit ago.

7 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I am curious - what did you do with it? Are they edible?

I used to plug the surf in the summertime wearing dungarees and surfer booties.  I went to push a Sea Robin back into the wash with my foot, and one of "arms" that they have in front of their fins punched right thru and hit the bone of the big toe on my right foot.  Then one day I was fishing with the late Bob McGinley and a crab on my bucktail closed his pincer on my right pointer finger until the pincers met.  Fortunately, he missed the bone. The only way he let go was when Bob snapped of his other arm.  My doctor's PA could not stop laughing.

Anti-Biotics anyone?

They are very edible. 243058894_4481727788552547_7723486012806345731_n.jpg.b095dace13b4e6c8b078515115bfdc48.jpg242717085_4481727668552559_5381207210377881321_n.jpg.c701013d577f40f94826d775d19e9560.jpg

39 mins ago, foxfai said:

They are very edible. 243058894_4481727788552547_7723486012806345731_n.jpg.b095dace13b4e6c8b078515115bfdc48.jpg242717085_4481727668552559_5381207210377881321_n.jpg.c701013d577f40f94826d775d19e9560.jpg

Do you catch these yourself? - If so how ?

2 mins ago, Lou T said:

Do you catch these yourself? - If so how ?

Store bought, fresh live. First time I've seen it sold in the market alive lol.

47 mins ago, foxfai said:

Thanks, years ago I caught a fish with 6 of them in it's belly. 5 of the 6 looked like the ones on your plate. I put them in a baggy on ice.

I brought them back to the same location where I caught the fish the night before. With other people in the area bait fishing it was a slow night. Most using bunker including myself because I was there early nothing was going on.

So I switched my rig over to a 8/0 hook verses a 10/0 and decided to give the shrimp a try. That shrimp was not in the water for five minutes before it got taken.

I investigated back then how to catch my own and never found out. Never knew they were for sale. Where did you purchase these?

Thanks

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

41 mins ago, foxfai said:

H Mart ???

Better than a Louisianan jumbo shrimp...  :drool: 

2 mins ago, Lou T said:

H Mart ???

Better than a Louisianan jumbo shrimp...  :drool: 

Not H Mart, Ranch 99 in Quincy, MA. They only had it for a week or two. Wife wanted them and you can't even order them here in restaurants. Bought and made them and they were very good (my first time trying to cook this). Wish they were bigger with more meat. :drool:

More to your other question, they burrow in the sand. So to catch them I've seen people to go the beach low tide to look for them like clams. They use something like a stick with a squid reverse hook and stick it down to hook them out. I have to find that video again, it was very interesting. But the ones they get were smaller ones too.

My other guess would be that boats can net them like shrimp at their habitat.

Edited by foxfai