Subtraction

Reel for St. Croix avid inshore 8’ heavy

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Just got ahold of an Avid Inshore 8’ heavy with plans of putting together a setup a size bigger than a Calcutta conquest 200 and Expride  7’6” heavy that I currently own as my heaviest combo. Will be used for throwing bucktails, 2-3oz swim baits, and occasionally live or cut bait. Primarily use being bull redfish, snook, and maybe tarpon down in Florida. I could also use it for striped bass and big catfish here in Georgia lakes/rivers.

I would really like another Calcutta conquest in the 400 size but have a hard time justifying the price for something I won’t use every weekend. Looked at the Tranx in 300/400 size but they’re hard to get right now.

Looked around on sites like digitaka and the Asian portal. So many models that seem like they might work for what I want but not too sure since info is scarce at least in English.

Level wind, 300 yds of 40lb braid, 12-ish ounces, cast control brakes, comfortably capable of 10lbs of drag if needed, and reliable.

Avet sxj g2 with the magnetic cast control seems about the right size but no level wind. How horrible/cumbersome would that be for repeatedly casting artificial lures?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Maybe there is something like this on the market that I’m unaware of that fits exactly what I’m looking for without spending $500+.

Thanks guys!

I know a very good fisherman who uses Calcutta 400 paired with avid inshore 8’ heavy for fluking. I’m sure it would more than suffice for black sea bass and porgy. I haven’t tog fished with him yet so I’m not sure what he uses. 

Thanks for the reply! Of course right after I posted this the Tranx 400a finally showed up in stock on TackleWarehouse. So I went ahead and placed an order for that. Have a 300yd spool of 40lb j-braid 8 I’m hoping to get close to all of it on there with just enough mono backing to cover the spool or maybe I’ll go the electrical tape route.

Still interested in info regarding the Avet sx/sxj with the mc and how it casts. Not having a level wind and flipping the lever drag back and forth constantly seems like it would be a pain for repeatedly casting and retrieving lures.

11 hours ago, Subtraction said:

Just got ahold of an Avid Inshore 8’ heavy with plans of putting together a setup a size bigger than a Calcutta conquest 200 and Expride  7’6” heavy that I currently own as my heaviest combo. Will be used for throwing bucktails, 2-3oz swim baits, and occasionally live or cut bait. Primarily use being bull redfish, snook, and maybe tarpon down in Florida. I could also use it for striped bass and big catfish here in Georgia lakes/rivers.

I would really like another Calcutta conquest in the 400 size but have a hard time justifying the price for something I won’t use every weekend. Looked at the Tranx in 300/400 size but they’re hard to get right now.

Looked around on sites like digitaka and the Asian portal. So many models that seem like they might work for what I want but not too sure since info is scarce at least in English.

Level wind, 300 yds of 40lb braid, 12-ish ounces, cast control brakes, comfortably capable of 10lbs of drag if needed, and reliable.

Avet sxj g2 with the magnetic cast control seems about the right size but no level wind. How horrible/cumbersome would that be for repeatedly casting artificial lures?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Maybe there is something like this on the market that I’m unaware of that fits exactly what I’m looking for without spending $500+.

Thanks guys!

Go with a Komodo 471SS. On top of the entirely stainless steel drive train, the reel comes with a bait clicker for when you are using bait.

The Komodo 471SS will fit your line capacity needs easily and has both the drag power and structure strength to hold up to most any fish you hook.

Edited by Beastly Backlash