baldwin

Rod/Reel suggestion

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

A student’s mom asked me what a good spinning rod and reel combo would be to get her daughter for Christmas. It’s mainly for inshore boat fishing, in 40’ or less, mild current. Bottom fishing for mainly scup and fluke, casting for schoolie bass and blues. Relatively inexpensive, probably under $100. Any suggestions?

13 mins ago, baldwin said:

A student’s mom asked me what a good spinning rod and reel combo would be to get her daughter for Christmas. It’s mainly for inshore boat fishing, in 40’ or less, mild current. Bottom fishing for mainly scup and fluke, casting for schoolie bass and blues. Relatively inexpensive, probably under $100. Any suggestions?

Getting decent quality rod/reel spinning combo for under $100 is going to be a tough journey. The lowest costing reel that I would dare to suggest is over $100 by itself (Daiwa BG 3000 @ roughly $110.00). It goes up from there. Since you refer to the species as 'scup' (vs it's other name, 'porgy'), is it safe to assume the fisherman in question fishing MA or RI waters? Unless you look used (as in this site's BST forum), you're looking at something close to $200 for what would be widely considered to be the low end side of a decent, functional outfit

Depending on how serious an angler she is, you don't need to spend hundreds on a combo.  Off a boat, go Ugly Stik Tiger Elite and a Penn Fierce III.  Size preference is on the user.

I have a BPS Gold Cup Inshore, and is a decent rod ($50).  Mine's 7HF, you could go with MH.  With a Penn Fierce III 4000 / 30# braid.  Decent rig.  Another option. 

Edited by Skunkoff

1 hour ago, Old Hunter said:

I noticed yesterday the Fierce III Combo with rod/reel from Penn is under $100 at the local B&T’s.  OH

Guy at work has the Fierce III combo and seems to like it.

Is there a local shop she can visit and pose this question too.  That way there's not 100 suggestions only to settle on something that cant be purchased locally cuz it may not be available.  At least the local shop will make recommendations available at the moment. 

Also you can probably use the search feature and look up say, fluke setup, and find 100 threads on the same topic.