Mallard1100

Islander Reels?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Who likes them and who doesn’t? I’ve always been intrigued by them but curious about their true performance. Not cheap. Hopefully they have some at the fly fishing show to check out. looking at the lx for stripers, blues, Albies etc. what say you? 

I have an older FR1 as well as an FR2 and I love them - however, admittedly, I have a couple of Hatch and Nautilus reels that I typically break out first these days...but that's not a slam against the Islanders

I love my Islanders.  For my money, the FR1 and FR2 are the best looking reels around.  Never had an issue with drag, and I love the way they sing.

If I had to find one complaint, it's that they're heavier than the newer reels.  In reality, I don't care at all.

14 hours ago, HL said:

Owned a couple yrs ago.

Drag "chattered" (Grabbed and caught) repeatedly when wet.

Now use Bauer, Nautilus and Danielsson.

Herb

I never had the wet problem but it would chatter every once and while with use (think catching 30-40 albies). A little super lube on the cork fixes that. 

Again, my favorite reel. The originals (LA & FR) are relatively cheap on the bay at times. 

On 12/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mallard1100 said:

Who likes them and who doesn’t? I’ve always been intrigued by them but curious about their true performance. Not cheap. Hopefully they have some at the fly fishing show to check out. looking at the lx for stripers, blues, Albies etc. what say you? 

Love them! Old school standard. If I could only have one salt water fly reel it would be a Tibor Riptide. My second choice is an Islander FR2. I’ve easily caught more fish on Islander reels bar none. 

Technology wise there are better fly reel designs in the marketplace these days for the money. But I love my Islander reels. They are classic in every way.

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

Love them! Old school standard. If I could only have one salt water fly reel it would be a Tibor Riptide. My second choice is an Islander FR2. I’ve easily caught more fish on Islander reels bar none. 

Technology wise there are better fly reel designs in the marketplace these days for the money. But I love my Islander reels. They are classic in every way.

I'm not totally sold on the new tech reels. All of the older stuff - Tibors, Islanders, etc are simple and bullet proof. No fancy sealed drags with multiple small parts, plain'ol cork against the spool. Keep the cork lubed and that's pretty much all you ever need to do with them.

56 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I'm not totally sold on the new tech reels. All of the older stuff - Tibors, Islanders, etc are simple and bullet proof. No fancy sealed drags with multiple small parts, plain'ol cork against the spool. Keep the cork lubed and that's pretty much all you ever need to do with them.

...and there is one other HUGE advantage. If you get something stuck inside a old school cork drag its easy easy easy to take it apart and do a little cleaning. You get something in a sealed drag and its done.

Now I really like my Abel SDS reels but when I go on a big trip I do NOT go without my old standby cork drag Supers.

Remember the old line about semi-auto shotguns.....you know how it goes....there are only two kinds of auto loaders. Those that don't cycle and those that haven't stopped cycling yet.  Well I feel the same about sealed drags....

1 min ago, ifsteve said:

...and there is one other HUGE advantage. If you get something stuck inside a old school cork drag its easy easy easy to take it apart and do a little cleaning. You get something in a sealed drag and its done.

Now I really like my Abel SDS reels but when I go on a big trip I do NOT go without my old standby cork drag Supers.

Remember the old line about semi-auto shotguns.....you know how it goes....there are only two kinds of auto loaders. Those that don't cycle and those that haven't stopped cycling yet.  Well I feel the same about sealed drags....

I have an SDF as well as a couple of Ross reels. The drags and their design are essentially the same. I've had the spool pop off all of them while fishing. Part of that was on me, part of it is reel design. I like them, still use them but no way would I consider one for heavier duty salt use. That can't happen with my Tibors, Islanders, older Abels. 

On 12/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mallard1100 said:

I think I've caught about 400 fish on this reel over the 25+ years of fishing the spring run (lots of Shad & Stripers). It's a heavy (8.0 oz.) duty little battle-bot. 

Sage XP Islander FR1.jpeg

It is amazing what .00001 liters of salt water can do to the inner workings. I like the idea of less to get jammed up with the older reels. I'm in year 3 of salt water fishing and already have ****ed up 1 cheaper orvis reel due to improper cleaning. God bless warranties.