DZ

Rose Nulman Park

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just saw this today.

The Rose Nulman Park is permanently closing due to the dangers created by erosion. The park will be closed by Christmas. 

Unfortunately, neither the town nor the state consider the park a priority and will not grant us any of the government funds received from the federal infrastructure bill. Without these funds, we cannot repair the damage caused by erosion which has made the park far too dangerous for visitors. 

If the Park is a priority to you, please let your voice be heard by contacting the town and state representatives.

We want to save the park! 

- The Nulman Family

Sad news DZ, is the old woman that lived in the red house still there? Has it affected her house?. Was she part of that Nulman family?

Hopefully something can be done to save that area, had some great nights in that water.

Edited by Mack26

It would be tough to grant public funds to a Private Receivership.

Perhaps with a little reel and dealing, it could happen since it's open space and available to the public.

There would have to be some restrictions written in like not closing it to the public in future years.

I'd donate to help keep it open. Not sure if we can crowd fund the amount needed but it's worth a shot since no one else is going to help.

Typical government reaction unfortunately.

Edited by Zubinac

However unfortunate, closing the park isn't entirely surprising, given the precipice created by erosion and the litigious nature of people.  Ironically, new benches were installed this fall. The park is used by so many people, not only fishermen and surfers, and is probably the best place in Narragansett to catch the sunrise and the sunset. Best breeze in town, too, on a hot summer day. I wonder what the original terms for the Nulman Park were and if they have any bearing on its present status. Hopefully, this can be resolved.

27 mins ago, dickd said:

However unfortunate, closing the park isn't entirely surprising, given the precipice created by erosion and the litigious nature of people.  Ironically, new benches were installed this fall. The park is used by so many people, not only fishermen and surfers, and is probably the best place in Narragansett to catch the sunrise and the sunset. Best breeze in town, too, on a hot summer day. I wonder what the original terms for the Nulman Park were and if they have any bearing on its present status. Hopefully, this can be resolved.

Dick who owns the lighthouse land?  A surfer told me the federal government gave up control of the light.  Are the buildings inhabited?  If that land is no longer used and is federal they could use that land for access?  The last time I fished there was years ago when I think the Coast Guard owned that land. 

53 mins ago, dickd said:

I agree. Many mornings after fishing i will would pull in that lot and just sit relax and watch a sunrise.  The parking down there with surfers, sightseers, and fisherman will be a disaster now.

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Get the surfers involved too.

From my experience here, surfers have ruined the opportunity to fish here during daylight hours. Numerous times they've encroached on me after 1) arriving well after I did and 2) acknowledged my presence and continued about their business, choosing to surf within 30 yards of me. Zero common courtesy anymore, and I'm tired of the verbal disputes. Yes, I do not own the water, but that's sort of arrogance is uncalled for.

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Dick who owns the lighthouse land?  A surfer told me the federal government gave up control of the light.  Are the buildings inhabited?  If that land is no longer used and is federal they could use that land for access?  The last time I fished there was years ago when I think the Coast Guard owned that land. 

The Coast Guard still occupies the Lighthouse property and no longer permits walking across the gated section.

39 mins ago, sikcrodbends said:

From my experience here, surfers have ruined the opportunity to fish here during daylight hours. Numerous times they've encroached on me after 1) arriving well after I did and 2) acknowledged my presence and continued about their business, choosing to surf within 30 yards of me. Zero common courtesy anymore, and I'm tired of the verbal disputes. Yes, I do not own the water, but that's sort of arrogance is uncalled for.

All true; however, as Mako Mike pointed out, they are a large influential group.

17 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It would be tough to grant public funds to a Private Receivership.

Yes, this is the tricky part about this whole situation. The land would need to be, for example, redesignated as a state park (i.e., handed over to a state government entity) to receive O&M funding via infrastructure bill or other grants to address the erosion problem.