Topside2

Postcards from Snowbirds...Thoughts?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

It seems like the postcards from snowbirds have started extremely early this year.  There's a guy I play hockey with that is sailing in Bermuda who feels obligated to send us regular emails about how warm it is.  Without naming names, we've seen quite a few post and photos from warmer climes from some of our New England friends on this forum. 

I am fully aware that it is warmer the further south one travels.  I understand that the winter fishing can be quite good in Florida.   However, I live in northern New England by choice.  I love the changes of seasons...each of which brings its own pursuits and pleasures.  The changing seasons also heightens the anticipation and appreciation of each time of year as it arrives.   If you choose to be a snowbird, then good for you.  Enjoy it.  To each his/her own.  I simply don't understand why some folks who travel south in the winter seem to have a need to tell us again and again how great it is down there?  Is it to rub our noses in it?  Is it to help validate to yourself your decision to be a snowbird?   I don't get it?

I can't figure out why they do it.  Somehow they think that they have something I would be envious of, which couldn't be farther from the truth.  I have no reason to live in Maine other than the fact that I LOVE it here!!  Now that my parents have passed, I have no  obligation to set foot in the Sunshine State, and have not done since.  AAMOF, Hell could freeze over and I don't think then I'd even consider leaving Maine year-round.  Love to ski, snowshoe and collect my shellfish during the season, which happens to occur during the winter.  My only complaint about Maine winters recently is that we haven't had enough snow; haven't used the roof rake in over 3 years!!  

Bottom line is I could winter anywhere in the world, but choose to enjoy it along Maine's Midcoast...

Love the sentiment overall. Winter is hard on some of the older folks joints so I don’t begrudge them a little relief. 40lb bass in summer and 40lb laker through the ice-that’s the dream. 

BD48ACCC-A928-4461-8861-9A223AD0ED61.jpeg

My Quebecoise friends call me to tell me how cold it is pretty regularly. I'm from south Philadelphia, went to school in Rhode Island, and crossed the arctic circle when I served in the Navy. I'm seriously done with the cold. But I figure if someone doesn't like the cold, they'd move somewhere that isn't cold. Right? Both have their charms I suppose. I'd kill for decent pizza.

6 hours ago, Local66 said:

I'd kill for decent pizza

True, no matter where you move, there's always the issue of leaving local culinary delights.  If proper pizza is your goal, NEVER move to the Chicago Area.  They have a casserole there that they purport to be the best pizza in the world and are deeply insulted if you tell them it ain't pizza!!  

It seems that postcards from travel destinations started  a 100 yrs. ago . Don’t think most are bragging or have an ego trip. I would rather have a postcard than a impersonal text, a10 second blip, There’s no place like NE  and it’s seasons. But for older persons the south is far cheaper to live and makes the relative Arthur I tis less bothersome. Travel seems to be , can’t wait to go and can’t wait to go home. :rav:

Firstly, as someone who lives in New England by choice, loves the Maine coast in the summer, and the white mountains in the winter, I totally get your point.  We live in a place where the fly tying season is 2x as long as the fishing season, so if you don't dig that, this is a tough place to be... fortunately, I'm happy as clam here, and LOVE raising a family here.  

Now, that said, I like the remote reports.  If we all sat around and waited for local fishing reports from Nov to April, this would be a pretty dead board.  I lived in France for 3 years, and regularly posted trout reports from all over Europe on Fly Fishing in Maine, and people totally dug it.  Variety is the spice of life  in my eyes. 

Finally... I get the point... there are people who feel that they are the Coronado's of the 21st Century, like they are the first to discover the golden sun, that is warm in the southern climes at Christmas time... and share it like they are "winning".  I am thrilled for anyone who feels that they're life is exactly what they want it to be.  However, as my grandmother used to say, "Don't blow out someone's candle to make yours look brighter".  To each their own....