PSegnatelli

Mono. Anything new?

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have no need for mono other than leader material. For that I use Trilene XL. I will never ever spool up with mono ever again for any reason. It’s simply to expensive for an inferior line that has to be changed out many times a year. 

Edited by poopdeck

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

I have no need for mono other than leader material. For that I use Trilene XL. I will never ever spool up with mono ever again for any reason. It’s simply to expensive for an inferior line that has to be changed out many times a year. 

I agree.  I can run a long leader if needed

2 hours ago, poopdeck said:

I used to think the same thing. I always had a lot of issues this time of year with braided line freezing up so much.

Finally last year I decided to see how things would work fishing with straight mono. Casting was easier and I had less issues with the line freezing to itself.

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I used to think the same thing. I always had a lot of issues this time of year with braided line freezing up so much.

Finally last year I decided to see how things would work fishing with straight mono. Casting was easier and I had less issues with the line freezing to itself.

There are braids designed specifically for ice fishing. I haven’t tried them but they could be useful for cold weather fishing. 

1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

There are braids designed specifically for ice fishing. I haven’t tried them but they could be useful for cold weather fishing. 

Like the dacron ice line?  That stuff is usually pretty thick, no?

I just got some Yozuri Hybrid 20# for leaders next season.  Will see how it performs. 

2 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

I checked them out, looks like they don't go much over 6lb test and spools are tiny too. But, good idea.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, Flip n Dip said:

Silverthread works really well when I first put it on my reels but then it tends to get squirrely soon after. When it comes to mono I like Trilene Sensation. 

I am thinking of trying Trilene sensation. How does it compare to XT? XT is my go too.

I grabbed a spool of that Yozuri hybrid line and the knot strength is awful compared to a regular mono. With regular 10lb to 14lb mono I can typically straighten the hook or at least have to put some effort into breaking the line, but the 10lb Yozuri would just break with a quick easy pop at the knot. Reminds me of Vanish in how easily the knots break.

There's nothing wrong with mono except it's not fashionable. And that makes me love it all the more.  Bulk spools of 6 and 8lb. Trilene Big Game have served me well. When I want better performance and money to burn, Sufix is excellent. When money is no object Maxima cannot be beat. Hard to find in the south though.

11 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I am thinking of trying Trilene sensation. How does it compare to XT? XT is my go too.

I grabbed a spool of that Yozuri hybrid line and the knot strength is awful compared to a regular mono. With regular 10lb to 14lb mono I can typically straighten the hook or at least have to put some effort into breaking the line, but the 10lb Yozuri would just break with a quick easy pop at the knot. Reminds me of Vanish in how easily the knots break.

No way. I pull a fully loaded kayak in river current when snagged on 8lb hybrid. Wet your knots before synching them, it is a mono/fluoro infused hybrid. It is not just flouro coated like p-line. You must be burning the line when making knots. I use a regular unit knot and kreh loop knot for jigs. I run hybrid 6 to 15 lb all sizes in between. Never had a knot fail or any mysterious break offs. I would hybrid against any mono and fluoro I tried. Stuff is tuff as nails and limp enough for 2500 size spinning reels in 6-8lbs. 10-12 on baitcasters. 15lb leaders only for surf as the diameter jumps significantly at 15.

I used to be an all braid guy with leaders for everything. I went back to mono for freshwater and not going back to braid. My test fishing them side by side where I fish, mono out catches braid with leaders by a wide margin.

12 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

If you are using XT on baitcasters and using line heavier than 10 lb you are probably better off with the XT. I don’t think you will see any advantage with Sensation. I find that XT and Big Game work really well on baitcasters and they are the strongest. I like Sensation for less than 10 lb and use it primarily for spinning reels. The 2 lb is really good for trout in rivers. I find the XT to be way too stiff for spinning gear but I like it for baitcasters.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, PSegnatelli said:

What are these co-polymer lines like?  

Why these over plain mono?

I use gamma copolymer. Love it. Little more expensive but lasts longer. Behaves like mono but about twice the breaking strength. Also mono definitely has a shelf life. Couple years at best.