PSegnatelli

Mono. Anything new?

83 posts in this topic

Anything new in mono line?

Specifically light tackle.  I've been using a mondo spool (3000yds) of Silver Thread 4lb. And just gave away the last of it to a lady at work for hangin ornaments. 

Just curious if anything new has been out.   I've been eyeballing Stren Magnathin. 

And I don't want braid.   I can barely tie a knot with 10lb braid, anything thinner will drive me mad.  My fingers don't work well. 

Here is my intended usage. 

4lb- light trout & panfish. 

6lb- trout & panfish for wife and kids. They tend to snag alot.  Also rig that stays in my car. 

8lb- general fw fishing.  Bass,pike catfish etc.  

All spinning gear.  

10lb- pushbutton rigs I hand out to kids friends.   Zebco 33 on a 6ft rod. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Should have kept that silverthread.  Awesome stuff!

It was my favorite!!  But that spool was pushing almost ten years old.  Had a few unexplained break offs last year.  

Hard to use that much line when your reel holds 100yds +/-

Yozuri Hybrid 6lb - 8lb - super strong, little stretch, fluoro/mono hybrid doesn't absorb water and uv resistant

Suffix Elite - super smooth and clear, limp and stretchy

Trilene Sensation - not as smooth and whiteish in color, not a lot of stretch , thinnest diameter per lb

11 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Should have kept that silverthread.  Awesome stuff!

Silverthread works really well when I first put it on my reels but then it tends to get squirrely soon after. When it comes to mono I like Trilene Sensation. 

Just now, Flip n Dip said:

Silverthread works really well when I first put it on my reels but then it tends to get squirrely soon after. When it comes to mono I like Trilene Sensation. 

I was lookin at that Trilene Sensation.  

What do u like about it?

5 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I was lookin at that Trilene Sensation.  

What do u like about it?

I use it from 2 lb to 10 lb. I like the fact that it has less stretch than most other monofilament lines. It is also very abrasion resistant but most importantly it doesn’t get tangled easily. It has less memory than most lines. Never had a problem with wind knots. It ages much better than Silverthread.

14 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I use it from 2 lb to 10 lb. I like the fact that it has less stretch than most other monofilament lines. It is also very abrasion resistant but most importantly it doesn’t get tangled easily. It has less memory than most lines. Never had a problem with wind knots. It ages much better than Silverthread.

Thanks.  I think I'll give it a whirl. 

If it really has less tangling I'll try it out on my wife and kids.  They can knot a rock. 

35 mins ago, poopdeck said:

What’s mono?

Valid point but sometimes mono is the better tool for the job than braid. When fishing for trout in rivers braid doesn’t drift well with the current. I also prefer mono for catching panfish with small lures. Most everything else though, braid is the way to go.