hobbyisterisis

Van Staal VR Gen2 Quality Control

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Recently, I sold all of my surf reels (6 of them) and replaced them with two Van Staals and one additional spool.

I got VR75 Gen2 + VR50 spool and VR175. I will most likely grab the VR200 spool when it's released next year.

Anyway, first thing I noticed with VR200:

• Minor imperfections, including a shaving on the drag knob (See pic)
  • Little brown spot on the bail arm (Not sure what it is)
  • A few small nicks
  • Missing a part for the bailess kit (I didn't realize I was missing it until I received VR75. I think the bailess kit should have come in two bags like it did for the VR75, but there was only one bag with a cut in it.)
  • Squeaky (I'm hoping that it'll go away after I break it in. VR75 doesn't squeak.)

One issue with the VR75:

• The screw is stripped internally on the handle knob. I tried to remove the knob and the screw just spins and the knob can't be removed. I wanted to replace it with the power knob and for now, it's just paperweight.

I reached out the the seller and I'm communicating to see what my options are. I know it's not apples to apples comparison but just saying... I never had this many QC issues with other brands that I use (Shimano, Daiwa, and Penn).

Anyone else having any VR Gen2 QC issues?

IMG_5935.jpeg.74c6b979af4bd669612590ad99551f78.jpeg

IMG_5936.jpeg.f599cf3c006113a458d766d232591e16.jpeg

IMG_5937.jpeg.acbb3fed0a8b7652c9700a2748b70170.jpeg

Edited by hobbyisterisis

First one looks like it was "lightly used".  The imperfections look like usage not tool marks from sloppy assembly.  Did you buy it at a retailer as brand new, or from an individual as "new in box"?  Missing part might also explain it being in a consumers hands already.

Retailer may have accepted it as a return within their return period policy and new/unused???

Edited by FoliFish

5 mins ago, FoliFish said:

First one looks like it was "lightly used".  The imperfections look like usage not tool marks from sloppy assembly.  Did you buy it at a retailer as brand new, or from an individual as "new in box"?  Missing part might also explain it being in a consumers hands already.

Retailer may have accepted it as a return within their return period policy and new/unused???

This would be my first guess.

Would a 200 spool fit on a 75?

i have a vr201 and the spool on that thing is massive. 

edit: oh, 175 nevermind

Edited by Callmefish

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

This would be my first guess.

Damn… Everything else looked new so I assumed it was new. Bought it from J&H and they referred me to purefishing to get parts. At this point, maybe I should just return them lol. They were both sold as new.

Anyone know anything about squeaks? I’ll look it up later, but I’m hoping that it’s common with Van Staals and that it will go away over time.

The only thing I've seen is on the black reels. The anodizing on the bails seemed shoddy and on my 201 it had a bunch of spots on the bail wire that you could catch with your finger nail. 

When back and forth with Craig and the shop owner. They made it right. 

24 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Damn… Everything else looked new so I assumed it was new. Bought it from J&H and they referred me to purefishing to get parts. At this point, maybe I should just return them lol. They were both sold as new.

Anyone know anything about squeaks? I’ll look it up later, but I’m hoping that it’s common with Van Staals and that it will go away over time.

Josh will take the reel back and send you a different one. Have you contacted him?

1 hour ago, hobbyisterisis said:

My vr201 squeaks, especially when wet. Mine was definitely new as this is the first year in production and I pre-ordered

I put hundreds of hours and hundreds of fish on a Gen2 VR150 this season. Like Foli said, that reel was likely returned after use. My reel would squeak too. In my case it was tiny sand particles. Just dunk it and the squeak should go away. 

8 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

The knob is not stripped you need to remove the end cap and use another Allen head to hold it 

the end cap can be quite difficult to remove 

Damn, you are right. I actually looked at the manual. Lol, thank you for the heads up.

IMG_5938.jpeg

2 hours ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Yea, it was really easy to get the exchange started just now. Kudos to them!

Josh is good people. His turn around with shipping isn't the fastest of the shops I try and support. But, his customer service is excellent 

2 hours ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Damn, you are right. I actually looked at the manual. Lol, thank you for the heads up.

IMG_5938.jpeg

The cap for me is near impossible to get out 

I’ve seen the videos of using a dental pic etc and that just lead to bent pics and scratched knobs :)

on both my 50 & 150 I just used a cut off wheel and cut the delrin ball in half to access the bolts 

I like the power knobs and would never go back so no big deal 

Edited by Joe Paranee