dannyplug1

Sanibel late April beg may

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Fishing the troughs along the beach early morning or in the evenings can be very productive for snook.  It can be a very frustrating way to fish but also productive in the right conditions. 

IMG_0154.jpeg

The locally popular fly for snook is Norm Zeigler's Schminnow, but they took my small Deceivers when I was last there too.

Norm's Fly Shop  .... sigh. I am sorry it's gone.  The one time I met Bonefish Dick he was there, sitting on the sofa, and busy tying.

14 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Wife and I are going to sanibel in late April early may, any ideas fishing opportunity off beaches while wife hunts shells?  I hear norm Ziegler’s is closed.  Hope not

I’ll be there end of April as well, visiting my in-laws. Last year I landed a few snook on a beach a bit south in mid-April. 

Norn's no longer exists. Whitney's is trying to rent his former space for their own fly shop; right now they sell flies and fly gear (not much for tying) in their current location, along with minnows and spinning tackle.

great time of year down there... lots of snook on the beach

i fish that time of year just south on marco island

keep it simple

8wt with float or intermediate line

8' leader to 20lb ( maybe 30lb bite leader)

Flies that are white, white /pink, white / olive, and black. sizes 1/0-2 and a couple size 1 poppers

I find snook are not super picky as long as you dont spook them.  Flies like scminnow, clouser, deciver, EP minnow, seaducer etc... all work'. You will want the poppers and black flies if you decide to fish any creeks or lagoon areas for baby tarpon

i am about to post some more flies in the BST area... will have a snook selection there... way too many flies in my life and not enough time to fish flies 

21 hours ago, BGBrown said:

Fishing the troughs along the beach early morning or in the evenings can be very productive for snook.  It can be a very frustrating way to fish but also productive in the right conditions. 

IMG_0154.jpeg

On a fly is awesome :rav:

Blind Pass, Turner and Bowmans will all hold fish.  You'll find snook, jacks, speckled trout, ladyfish, etc.  Look up the Sanibel Fly Fishers - I'm sure 

But in my mind, April/May is tarpon season.  Pine Island sound sees lots of tarpon, and there are some great guides that splash their boats in Punta Rassa.  You might even find some in Ding Darling.

I'm jealous - love Sanibel!

6 hours ago, walpy said:

Let me know if you want to connect for some fishing last week in April! 

Would love to.  My number is401-635-4649.  No firm dates our house is in an up roar we should be there now but had to cancel because I cough a WC kid case of lime disease.  Tro 5 hour night visits before they figured it’s not Covid.  But I will recover

7 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Would love to.  My number is401-635-4649.  No firm dates our house is in an up roar we should be there now but had to cancel because I cough a WC kid case of lime disease.  Tro 5 hour night visits before they figured it’s not Covid.  But I will recover

Hope you feel better soon! I put a reminder in my Cal to reach out when I get down to the my in-laws.