flyangler

2nd Annual Florida Meet Up/Fling - Saturday Feb 19th, Jupiter area

Rate this topic

304 posts in this topic

This is a "mark the date" post for those interested. @reelfire brought up the topic and we zeroed in on a date in that thread. 

More details will be provide shortly, but this will differ from last year's event in two ways. 

First, this will be more of a traditional SOL Fling, with more food involved. 

Second, while we will likely focus on the same park for its convenience and location, the fishing will be more widespread. Reelfire suggested anglers disperse to different area beaches looking for blacktiip action and then inform the collective if one spot is hot. Unlike last year, the dredging is long over so the water off of Carlin Park will not look like diluted milk so it could be happening there. 

Anyway, we had a great time last time and this second attempt should be that much better. 

If you are interested, please say so here so we can keep a running list of those who might attend.

T

Edited by flyangler

19 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

this is lame

im OUTbe busy..

I assume you will be busy in a more interesting activity…

B9A42874-2456-4275-A775-8342E304E02A.gif

Edited by levari

Since a Taverneer wondered in here and complained about a paucity of information...

• Carlin Park in Jupiter (north of Palm Beach, south of Stuart)
  • General info: https://www.jupiter.fl.us/facilities/facility/details/Carlin-Park-62
  • Video overview at the link below; when she comes up the stairs, those pavilions are where we will set up
  • That are no camp or RV grounds at this beach. 
  • Also no overnight camping on the beach (park technically closed from sundown to first light)

TIMING

• Sunrise to mid-afternoon with a group lunch
  • Sunrise that day is 6:53am, first light about 40 minutes earlier
  • High tide that day is 10:11am, low at 3:55pm
  • I will be there before sunrise, likely around 6:30.

AGENDA (ROUGH)

• This event is intended as a group fishing, social and knowledge-sharing event
  • Attendance is whatever you want it to be, from first light to whenever
  • Morning session fishing for sharks or whatever is in the area
  • Lunch which can by BYO or something more organized like a potluck
  • Afternoon session continue the morning program PLUS an ocean fly fishing teach-in
  • Bull-chitting and ball-busting will be frequent and welcome
  • Group cocktails or dinner is possible for anyone interested

FOOD/BEVERAGES

• I will bring one or two coolers for drinks and food storage
  • Food will be BYO or to be bought locally
  • There is a diner at the venue and it serves breakfast and lunch
  • I don't know the exact rules on alcohol other than know it is not allowed on the beach, not sure about pavillion
  • Thus, discretion might be in order

WEATHER

• This is South Florida so conditions should be comfortable
  • That said, the weather in December has been cooler thus far
  • Mid-February temperatures are in the low-mid 70s with dawn temps 5-10 cooler
  • Wind is the key as it can blow from any direction though from the East is pretty consistent
  • Rain in the mornings is unlikely unless we have a system in the area. 

FISHING

• The suggestion was made that we try something different this year, rather than have to "stay" at the Carlin beach, send out roving hordes of anglers to sample other beaches in the area to see if any have more action than the others. If any find success, in theory they will share the knowledge for others to follow. I will stay at Carland to keep the SOL riff raff under control. As for the fishing generally....
  • This is open ocean, sand beaches, so gear up accordingly
  • Casting distance can be from the wash out as far as you can chuck a plug
  • Very fly rod friendly though that depends somewhat on the wind
  • Species: jacks, blues, spanish mackerel, ladyfish
  • Sharks: this should be in the middle of the blacktip shark migration so they are very possible
  • Blacktips will take bait better than plugs but under the right conditions will smach topwaters (see zcoker posts)
  • Bait can be any oily fish or jacks, heads or chunks; Casting distance "depends" on tide, etc. 
  • For other species, any swimming or topwater lure will work if they are around
  • As you will see in the video, this beach has a guarded area where fishing is prohibited when guards are there
  • During guarded hours, fishing is allowed both north and south of the guard stations. 

MISCELLANEOUS 

• Security concerns at this park are lower than other locations but not zero, so plan accordingly
  • I will lock coolers to the pavillion posts just to make sure they don't walk away
  • I don't think we can assume there will always be one of us at the pavillion so don't assume gear can be left there
  • With the beach and ample parking literally mere yards away, leaving gear you don't need in the car is a strong option
  • Safety of vehicles during the day is not a concern, too many people, too much traffic, too many JPD patrols, etc. 
  • That said, be as cautious as you would anywhere else

30 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

this is lame

im OUT

you've rooned our day

:point:

11 mins ago, levari said:

I assume you will be busy in a more interesting activity…

B9A42874-2456-4275-A775-8342E304E02A.gif

:point::witty:

The big difference will be food this year, more of a focus on that, though last year was not bad for an unplanned effort. 

I up in NY for a couple of days so will add something here eventually. The flight up was about 40% full, my return flight tomorrow is sold out

I left cloudless skies and 72* can came to overcast and 35* right now, maybe some snow flurries. I lived in the NE for 55 of my years and I seem to have forgotten how it can be kinda gloomy in winter in comparison.  

50 mins ago, flyangler said:

The big difference will be food this year, more of a focus on that, though last year was not bad for an unplanned effort. 

I up in NY for a couple of days so will add something here eventually. The flight up was about 40% full, my return flight tomorrow is sold out

I left cloudless skies and 72* can came to overcast and 35* right now, maybe some snow flurries. I lived in the NE for 55 of my years and I seem to have forgotten how it can be kinda gloomy in winter in comparison.  

Are you fishing?

4 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

Are you fishing?

I had four rods there ready to go last year, except the dredging turned the water to milk and drove the fish elsewhere. i will fish first light through sunrise and then play it based on what is going on. i will not be going north or south if that's what the roving reports suggest. 

4 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

I would come to hang out with you spaz has no idea how to fish

don't stop being a you, handsome...

Edited by flyangler