Anton58

NYC Visit

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

Ok, I hesitate to throw this out to this crowd but from what I've read it appears some of you have some insight to NYC. I'm thinking of buying tickets to a musical for my wife for Christmas and was wondering what NYC is like these days. I read awhile back that NYC, in the midst of Covid, was not a place to visit. How are things now? Any recommendations for dining? For perspective, I expect, if we go, we'll be staying close to time square. We have been to the 9/11 memorial before but any other options for us tourons would be appreciated. Also, what to avoid? 

Go. Foot traffic is back to 50% of pre-COVID levels. You'll be able to get reservations at many of the best restaurants in the world. 

IMHO, it's actually better now than it was before. There were too many people before (read Chinese tourons).

8 mins ago, Chunkah said:

No

Chunkah, elaborate? I know some have a hatred for NYC, however for those of us who have been raised/lived in rural areas (LSD = Lower Slower Delaware) there is a bit of appeal in visiting the "city". Do you consider NYC just a tourist trap for non-residents? My wife loves the theater and if i get her tickets, well, it could provide "dividends" for quite some time. Thanks!

3 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

Go. Foot traffic is back to 50% of pre-COVID levels. You'll be able to get reservations at many of the best restaurants in the world. 

IMHO, it's actually better now than it was before. There were too many people before (read Chinese tourons).

Thanks Wayne, i'm not necessarily looking for 5 star restaurants, just good mom/pop places with great food. Any suggestions?

If you like family Italian, check out Carmines in Times Square next door to the Marriot Marquis Hotel. Good food and plenty of it, and reasonably priced. 

There are many good places - what do you like?

Except for Carmines, most places in and around Times Square are fair to good. In fact, I don't think I'd eat at any place in Times Square, for dinner, other than Carmines. If you're good with a burger, there are plenty of steak places, just order the burger though, as you'll overpay for the steak, which will be okay, just not great. Go a block east or west and you'll find better. Third Avenue between 45th and 60th street is where people who live in the Upper East Side eat. Good food and not pretentious with fair prices. 

Edited by Wayne Tj

I live and work (at least part time these days) in nyc. people - tourists, employees and residents are pouring back into nyc. Sports, theaters and restaurants are packed and will be expensive and challenging to get tickets/ reservation.  Christmas stuff is off the charts this year - if your wife likes that sort of thing, it’s very good this year.

tell me what cuisine and what neighborhood and I’ll tell you where to eat. Avoid Time Square except for shows. It’s always been a gross tourist trap and has only gotten worse during covid.

Italian is a favorite, but we are open to any quality cuisine. German, Japanese, Chinese, Polish, Thai, etc. willing to try something different than what we have locally, which is marginal at best.

1 min ago, Anton58 said:

Is the Grand Central Oyster Bar for real, or a tourist destination? Worthy of a visit?

Was a Good tourist destination but these days who the feck knows. 

9 mins ago, Anton58 said:

Is the Grand Central Oyster Bar for real, or a tourist destination? Worthy of a visit?

One of the few tourist destinations that’s also truly a good spot. Have not been since covid. Grand central is also amazing particularly the ceiling, if you dont like crowds don’t go. 

46 mins ago, Anton58 said:

Ok, I hesitate to throw this out to this crowd but from what I've read it appears some of you have some insight to NYC. I'm thinking of buying tickets to a musical for my wife for Christmas and was wondering what NYC is like these days. I read awhile back that NYC, in the midst of Covid, was not a place to visit. How are things now? Any recommendations for dining? For perspective, I expect, if we go, we'll be staying close to time square. We have been to the 9/11 memorial before but any other options for us tourons would be appreciated. Also, what to avoid? 

Must show Vax to get in the theater,  and wear mask for duration.

Garbage piled up, and supersize rats..

I love  NY. But they made a mess of it