KironaFly

Danielsson Fly Reels / F3W 7ten

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Hey SOL fly guys & gals .... While I'm familiar with this reel type (when they designed reels for LOOP) ... I'm wondering if there are any current informed opinions on the F3W 7ten reel for Striper & and Albie fishing. Please post away if you have something to say.

10521624-origpic-4baf0a_13.jpg.03edf43b81b7f165bede4bf222e694d6.jpg

A biased view as I love Danielsson reels. I have 8 of them!

I have 3 7Ten's with spare spools that I've used for most of my UK and NE saltwater since they were released. They are super light, very well-engineered and I like the dimensions. They balance light 7/8/9wt rods perfectly. The drags are light to be fair, certainly compared to some heavier duty saltwater reels.  But I've had lots of fish on them including stripers up to 42". They are a great 7wt/8wt reel and a 9wt reel at a push for light saltwater. The backing capacity is ideal for this. As with all Danielssons you can swamp spools without exposing the internals.

I would not use them for Albies or bigger species. I use the larger L5W 9Twelve or the H5D for heavier stuff. The drags are stronger and the backing capacity more suited for this. These are good 9wt and 10wt reels.

The only issue I have seen with the 7Ten is that they can get water ingress into the sealed drag if the rubber Oring behind the drag knob fails. This has happened twice to me which is not a lot given how much they get dunked when kayak and shore fishing. Both times I sent the reels back to Tomas @ Danielsson who repaired them completely FOC and paid for the return shipping back to me. 

There are some lovely reels out there but nothing touches these for value IMO and hand made by a family engineering company in Sweden from the company that invented large arbor reels. The spools cost less than a flyline and the reels are the cost of 2 premium flylines.

Edited by JRT

1 hour ago, JRT said:

A biased view as I love Danielsson reels. I have 8 of them!

• I have 3 7Ten's with spare spools that I've used for most of my UK and NE saltwater since they were released. They are super light, very well-engineered and I like the dimensions.
  • There are some lovely reels out there but nothing touches these for value IMO and hand made by a family engineering company in Sweden from the company that invented large arbor reels. 
  • The spools cost less than a flyline and the reels are the cost of 2 premium flylines.

It seems to me based on their accurate specs that the reel will hold over 200 yards of Hatch GSP braid and a 9 weight fly line ... which would work for most False Albacore ... and Bluefish & Stripers. I like the large arbor design and relatively narrow spool width as compared to the L5W series. They seem to have an interesting "stacking" drag system as well. Thanks for the commentary.

Edited by KironaFly

I would not trust a reel ported as much as this one at least for the fish I Target. Big reds, 20 lb and up stripers and blues, maybe some mid size tarpon. I use Abel of various size. No 3 for my 10 wt

no worries on the ported issue, fish don't bend reels, falls and drops do...  Ditto what JRT said, best reels for the buck bar none...  I have a pile of them...

Hi KF,

I also have a bunch of them.  A very good reel - and even better because you buy direct - and the currency conversion is in your favor.

I am thinking of getting the 3W that has no drag for Stripers at 6.7 OZ.  The reel has to be palmed.

Only issue with all these reels is the fact that they are all caged.  There is a cage around the spool that has seized on me if fishing sandy surf.  Sand gets between the cage and the spool and jams the reel. No line in or out.

So I only use it in clean conditions.  i.e  Boats and wading clean water.

Herb

13 hours ago, KironaFly said:

It seems to me based on their accurate specs that the reel will hold over 200 yards of Hatch GSP braid and a 9 weight fly line ... which would work for most False Albacore ... and Bluefish & Stripers. I like the large arbor design and relatively narrow spool width as compared to the L5W series. They seem to have an interesting "stacking" drag system as well. Thanks for the commentary.

I would use the L5W 8Twelve or H5D for albies (same spool size) - they are a better boat reel and can handle pelagics better. One thing I don't like about Danielssons, especially on the larger reels is the handle. Its basically the same handle across the models and its too small for the bigger stuff IMO. I replaced the handles on my H5D and L5W reels with the Nautilus Big Game handle which feels much nicer.

IMG-3877.jpg

1 hour ago, JRT said:

I would use the L5W 8Twelve or H5D for albies (same spool size) - they are a better boat reel and can handle pelagics better. One thing I don't like about Danielssons, especially on the larger reels is the handle. Its basically the same handle across the models and its too small for the bigger stuff IMO. I replaced the handles on my H5D and L5W reels with the Nautilus Big Game handle which feels much nicer.

Thanks for the comment.

It’s funny in that flyfishing is such a manual endeavor, where reel handle ergonomics or the ability to palm the spool rim, become important considerations / features of fly reel design. Perhaps equally as important as the drag design or reel weight.

I use one on my 8wt kayak rod. I don’t really care for the all black…lol.. but it has held up great bouncing around the kayak for inshore redfish. Will definitely pick up another one.  Easy to clean and service 

JRT

I was hoping you would join this discussion as  I know you both like the Danielsson reel and have a ruck of them.

My question is which model would be the best for beach fishing casting 10 wt floaters and Intermediates, this to give a clue as to line capacity plus say at least 100 yards of 20lb micron backing.  Single hand rods . I am looking for the smallest lightest solution so happy to forgo a ton of never used backing Striper fly fishing,

I struggle a bit trying to figure their specs and sizes not being the full shilling anymore if I ever was one.

The O ring issues I don’t care about as no sealed drags has survived what I do to salt water  fly reels. I just service them to death myself. It’s no big deal.

Cant understand the comment made by one poster about heavily ported reels as the Super 8 Abels have more ports than metal and fail wondrously in flying salt water and sand.

Full cage or the modern non caged reels the water gets everywhere. What’s the big deal nobody stays dry or their gear when shore fishing the ocean. But who wants to lug heavy un ported reels around. 
Black funny how it’s gone out of favour for more blingy colours.

I love black. Super cool and conservative. Ninja even. LOL.

I should have been supporting this great company before now. When funds become available I will start.

Look forward to hearing your recommendations JRT.

PS can I use your Christian name or would you rather not have it known on public forums.

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

I use a bunch of Danielsson reels on 9/10 wt single hand rods.  Like JRT, I also use the L5W8/12 (mostly) and H5D9/13, and I mostly use them from a boat.  I need the extra drag and capacity for 30 lb dacron, compared to the F3W7/10.  The F3W drag is good and can be palmed for most fishing, but when netting fish solo from a boat, I need a drag that’ll really hold strong fish. Great reels.  

I generally consider these reels good for the lower number of their size range:  e.g., the 8/12 and 9/13 (identical size) are for 8/9/10 wt rods, not 11/12/13 wt rods.  

edit:  I don’t find the handles too small, despite my big hands, but I do appreciate the issue.  I use some older Hardy reels in freshwater that have wee little nubs for handles, so the Danielssons feel just fine by comparison.  

Edited by SSPey

SSPey

Thats good info. I could not get my head around a spec with such a wide line  scale.

Any idea how much backing for the 8/12 using a wf 10 wt floater please. I do like the idea of the lighter reel with the not so powerful drag. Weight is important being almost a 100% shore hound. A less powerful drag I can live with unless it is silly light. 
Thanks

Mike

I have a mega-spool of 30 lb dacron backing and just fill my reels to eye, no idea of the amount.  Danielsson gives reel capacities here:

https://danielsson-flyreels.se/media/revslider/Weights-line-capacities.pdf

IMO most every reel maker exaggerates capacity by 20%.   Personally I would not use the 7/10 for a full 10 wt floating line, I do not like line jammed tightly on my reel, but I’ve also never tried that specific combo with 20 lb backing.  If others like it, great.  I have not tried it because the L5W8/12 suits me perfectly for 9/10 wt lines, so I have no need to try smaller.   

One odd thing about these current reels is the L5W8/12 and H5D9/13 have so much usage overlap.  It is an idiosyncrasy of their lineup.  The H5D has only a very slightly stronger frame than the L5W, primarily reinforcement near the seat.  The older versions of these reels were very different, the original LW had a light frame with the same light drag as the current FW, and the original HD had the stronger (i.e., current) drag and much beefier frame than anything current, where the added heft made the old HD 9/13 and 11/14 great for balancing two-handed rods.  

Edited by SSPey

52 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

SSPey

Thats good info. I could not get my head around a spec with such a wide line  scale.

Any idea how much backing for the 8/12 using a wf 10 wt floater please. I do like the idea of the lighter reel with the not so powerful drag. Weight is important being almost a 100% shore hound. A less powerful drag I can live with unless it is silly light. 
Thanks

Mike

In doing research on these reels at other forums (Washington state / Salmon bros) ... what has been stated by other users is that the reels in hand match the specs posted at their website. So if they say the reel weighs 229 grams or 8.07 ounces ... it does. Which for reel geeky me is reassuring. And as a Brit (Mike) I would expect the metric system is also welcoming.

L5W:

Model: 8twelve
Line: 8-12
Capacity: WF10F-229m 30lbs
Weight: 229 gr
Outer diameter: 108 mm     

61b0e8b397627_Danielsson8twelve.jpg.374187ec6e02021ce812e6da91a92112.jpg

Physics and metallurgy being what they are ... it's really hard to get to a lower weight of reel and still have a large arbor & backing capacity etc. For this particular class of reel ...I'm going with a Ross Evolution R Salt fly reel ... which comes in at about 8.5 ounces and 500 quid. Not double the functionality ... just double the price.

Cheers,

Tony