Jay in the Bay

What live bait bucket/cooler system is everyone using?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just moved to SWFL and for shore fishing, I see everyone with buckets and coolers w aerators to keep their shrimp and baitfish alive. 

As I don't have a boat, I am looking for a similar set ups, but looking for recommendations.  
I currently have 2 bubble boxes and two trolling buckets. 

I've seen the Engel coolers online, and wonder if they are really worth it for their cost. 

Not familiar with anything specific but I will say if your using it in Florida, get something insulated, water heats up quickly down there and nothing kills quicker than hot water. I'd also look for something that runs on AC and DC, plug into at home and use batteries when on the road. Not a necessity unless your trying to keep baits alive for days.

I use the Engel bait cooler. The temp that the bait shop water they give you stays that temp all day. The bubbler has been running fine for better than two years. I use this in a kayak. 

Size is 13 but I also bought a 7, the 7 is still new. 

The engels also come with a net interior. This keeps the shrimp from getting banged up and dying. 

This is what I use. Shrimp go in yellow lid bucket fish go in blue bucket. I use this for the hike out and back to the jetty and it has carried many snapper.

IMG_20211207_211641.jpg

IMG_20211207_211704.jpg

IMG_20211207_211711.jpg

Edited by TheSuperApe

I love the Engel - I have all three sizes: 7/13/19.  I typically add a frozen bottle of water in the morning and evening to keep the water cool.  I would suggest the 13 for shore fishing as it will hold more bait - an important factor if the fish are chewing!  The 7 will work for shore fishing if you are looking to go lighter.

A comparison of both. The 7 would fit length and width inside the 13 just not completely. The 7 outside is the same as inside of 13, length and width. The height is similar to one another.

950300E8-8253-4181-8421-C68C7707A41F.jpeg

I have a 13 and a 19 Engel. As others have said, if you plan to fish all day Engels keep the water cool. I still add a frozen water bottle as well as I fish in Texas. Cool water keeps bait alive longer and keeps them "lively".

When I fish, I usually start off with a quart of shrimp in a 5 gallon bucket that I will fish first since it's not insulated and buy a quart a piece for the Engels. That way I have fresh bait all day. As the shrimp die, I put them in a ziplock bag and then on ice for dead bait or bait for the next outing.

For mullet, I use a 10 gallon bucket or I have a 20 gallon insulated bait well. I like to catch at least 100 mullet before I start to fish.

16 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

If you were going with 50 shrimp then the smaller size, 100 and you’d be better off with the 13. 

Thanks.  This will probably be used for a day at the local pier, so I doubt I would use more than 50, no?  (Sorry, I'm new to FLA fishing)

6 hours ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Thanks.  This will probably be used for a day at the local pier, so I doubt I would use more than 50, no?  (Sorry, I'm new to FLA fishing)

Sorry for that. Come on if you don’t learn something everyday here you are missing out. Florida fishing is good today, horrible tomorrow style. This has happened so many times to me, I’ll go out Saturday and kill them, to return Sunday and get squat. 

Don’t just throw out the remaining shrimp if you have any left or some die on you, freeze them for another day.  Use them too. 

welcome to sunshine 365. Nothing better. 

9 hours ago, Jay in the Bay said:

One dozen shrimp per person per hour is my rule

2 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

One dozen shrimp per person per hour is my rule

One dozen per hour, wow I can go through that in 20 minutes if the chew is on. LOL.

There have been days where I went home with 40 of the 50 shrimp. Other days I could have used a 100. 

right now the sheepshead have been around, once you find them the shrimp don’t last long. 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

One dozen per hour, wow I can go through that in 20 minutes if the chew is on. LOL.

There have been days where I went home with 40 of the 50 shrimp. Other days I could have used a 100. 

right now the sheepshead have been around, once you find them the shrimp don’t last long.

For sheepshead limit I'd bring 5 dozen.