Fflyakk

Fly fishing Costa Rica.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So I finally get out and flyfish after 5 days of landing in Costa Rica. I'm usually here for 6 months but this year it's 3 because of business stateside. 

First trip was less by my friend Rafita. He is one hell of a baitcaster and last year. A legend in Costa Rica. I became his mentor of Flyfishing and tying and bring him over too the dark side. 

We drove up with some fellow CRAFF members, (Costa Rica Association of Flyfishing), following Rafita's lead. Higher up the road to mountain stream. Our target species was tepemachine, snook, machacca and roncador.   

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. The river, wife and cold. This was more of a recon mission. We fished multiple sections of river and caught some machacca and tepemachine. It was a great day of comraderie and laughs. 

IMG-20211203-WA0004.jpg

Very cool.  I once fly fished for guapote on Lake Arenal.  Got a couple of blow-ups on a gurgler, but no bites.

I then took a fly rod to Quepos and caught my first sailfish.  Great fishery!

Arenal used to have bomber guapote. Still are some in the less fished areas of Arenal.  Nice catch on the sail.

Costa Rica.......you can go from catching sailfish to high altitude trout in 2 hours. 

What fly or prey do you emulate? Nymph, dries, streamers? Are the trout all over the high country? That mt river looks beautiful.

Would like to fish for snook one day, trout the next.

There are trout in many of the high altitude rivers. The Savegre flows from 8 thousand plus feet down to the ocean. Higher elevations contain rainbow trout. You can either nymph or wet or dry fly. I've catch trout on bead head pheasant tails, basic wet flies and elk hair caddis. There are some mayfly hatches as well as golden stonefly. The hatches just aren't as prolific as in the states. 

As the Savegre flows to lower elevations, there are river snook, freshwater drum, tepemachine and other species. Even lower you will find the big snook, corvina, as well as multiple species of snapper.

Edited by Fflyakk