Angler #1

Pearl Harbor Remembered

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

On this date in 1941 I was living in Roxbury on Fort Avenue. I would be 7 years old listing to one of the favorite radio shows the Lone Ranger or the Shadow on a Philco Radio. The program was interrupted by the announcer that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor   with a great loss of men and ships on anchor in the harbor. We honor this day that lives in infamy with all of the brave patriots who lost there lives to help keep our country free. Many of them where never recovered and sit in marked water graves along with the ships they served on, that sank after being bombarded by a sneak attack on unsuspecting warriors of the time. Today is a day of remembrance , a day of reflection that we the United States came together as one nation and used the forces of good to overcome the Japanese at that time , not before many more lives would be lost by both countries . We were reminded later in another area that we have not always been prepared for sneak attacks , but in the end our country came together as one and reconciled our freedom is essential to a free world for our children and there children. Our Flag is still the best flying because of our commitment by the majority of the citizens from many nations and country's to help make it so. May God Bless America on this special day and always watch over her with love. Peace and Prayers   

Edited by Angler #1

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

On this date in 1941 I was living in Roxbury on Fort Avenue. I would be 7 years old listing to one of the favorite radio shows the Lone Ranger or the Shadow on a Philco Radio. The program was interrupted by the announcer that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor   with a great loss of men and ships on anchor in the harbor. We honor this day that lives in infamy with all of the brave patriots who lost there lives to help keep our country free. Many of them where never recovered and sit in marked water graves along with the ships they served on, that sank after being bombarded by a sneak attack on unsuspecting warriors of the time. Today is a day of remembrance , a day of reflection that we the United States came together as one nation and used the forces of good to overcome the Japanese at that time , not before many more lives would be lost by both countries . We were reminded later in another area that we have not always been prepared for sneak attacks , but in the end our country came together as one and reconciled our freedom is essential to a free world for our children and there children. Our Flag is still the best flying because of our commitment by the majority of the citizens from many nations and country's to help make it so. May God Bless America on this special day and always watch over her with love. Peace and Prayers   

Had the honor of visiting the USS Arizona Memorial years ago...was quite the eery, sombering experience, standing over that ship.

Thanks for the reminder of this date, which I almost forgot this year. Understand this is the MA thread, but in RI I'm often reminded of people's contributions to the effort through the remains of coastal fortifications that are so tightly woven into many of our cherished fishing areas.

I also choose to remember the Battle of the Philippines which began the following day and where so many were killed and captured for the duration of the war.

Chuck it is often the case when it comes to the sacrifices many have made over the years by those who served and in some cases died that we must still find the time to assure that the message of those sacrifices be acknowledged for the future of our country . Peace and Prayers.

12 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Chuck it is often the case when it comes to the sacrifices many have made over the years by those who served and in some cases died that we must still find the time to assure that the message of those sacrifices be acknowledged for the future of our country . Peace and Prayers.

Remember the past, plan for the future, but live for today, because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may never come.

Luke The Evangelist

7 mins ago, Joe G said:

Remember the past, plan for the future, but live for today, because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may never come.

Luke The Evangelist

Joe words of wisdom we should all live by. Thank you  Peace and Prayers

On 12/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Joe G said:

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.  

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto   

Yamamoto studied at Princeton prior to the war, and was thoroughly familiar with the industrial capacity and rich resources of the US. He argued against the Pearl Harbor attack, but when his superiors decided to go forward, he carried it out. He knew that there had to be a negotiated end to the war within a year, for Japan to have any chance to avoid being destroyed, and that the nature of the attack, without warning while envoys were in DC engaging in peace talks, ended any chance of that. Midway was his roll of the dice towards forcing the US to negotiate, and when his fleet limped home in defeat, he knew it was game over.