mark d

Recommend tip top for surf rod ?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

what type/brand of tip guide would you guys recommend for a cts s8 12'. i fish mostly heavy surf, usually on bars at river mouths

as always thanks

Alconite is the insert ring material, which doesnt really matter. The frame type and ring size of the running guides are what we're looking for.  Can you post a close up picture of the last guide?

3 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Alconite is the insert ring material, which doesnt really matter. The frame type and ring size of the running guides are what we're looking for.  Can you post a close up picture of the last guide?

running guides are #10. i can not send a picture as i am in the middle of the ocean on my ship. won't be home until the 30th. was hoping to get these ordered before i arrived home.   

thanks for your replies, i really do appreciate it. wish i had better answers

gotcha.  I usually size-up the ring for the tip top since most tips sit a little lower than their corresponding running guide, so for a heavier surf rod a MNAT-12 is probably a safe bet.  

But....CTS makes 5 models in the S8 line that are 12 feet, with listed tip diameters between 7.5 and 10, so unless you know the exact blank model you're still kind of stuck unless you want to order a whole bunch of tips and return the ones that don't fit.  

If you do know the blank model I'd still order an extra tip top in one tube size larger in case your particular blank runs a little thick.

holy schmolies 5 models ? one of the guys here was kind enough to pass on a cts chart and i determined it was 7.5 mm diameter from that but maybe i missed something

what i know is:

cts s8 12 ft 1-3 oz

again thanks

1 hour ago, mark d said:

holy schmolies 5 models ? one of the guys here was kind enough to pass on a cts chart and i determined it was 7.5 mm diameter from that but maybe i missed something

what i know is:

cts s8 12 ft 1-3 oz

again thanks

Mark there is no way in hell that a 1-3oz rod has a 7.5mm dia tip.

I think maybe you are after a size 7.5 which has a 3mm tube bore.

Buy yourself a #7 (2.8mm) and a #7.5 (3mm)  and possibly #8 (3.2mm) in a 10 ring size, (I did see EBHarvey's remark about upsizing but I would go for a 10 ring)

You cannot get black guides anymore, the BC grey will be just fine:

1. BCMNAT-10-7

2. BCMNAT-10-7.5

3. BCMNAT-10-8

Edited by ZAFisher

you are right. it was #7.5 on the chart not 7.5 mm.....awhile back i wanted to change my cts vt into a combination rod and you sent me a schematic to do so. i bought the guides and sat down at my bench with the rod and a razor knife and.........chickened out. lou built a beautiful rod and i just couldn't bring myself to butcher it. 

thanks a lot for the schematic though. much appreciated