clammer

Green crabs

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Will live green crabs survive thru the winter .

I know you can freeze them  & they will be good for one trip once tharwed

I know asian crabs will live & swim around all winter <><.

11 hours ago, clammer said:

Will live green crabs survive thru the winter .

I know you can freeze them  & they will be good for one trip once tharwed

I know asian crabs will live & swim around all winter <><.

This doesn't exactly answer your question but they'll still be effective if you freeze em. Take it from Mr. Skinner: 

Frozen crabs eh? I'm not much of a togger but I feel like a lot of the regulars out there on the rocks would be stunned. But hey, maybe frozen is better than having the stink of death on 'em when a few have given up the ghost in the bucket, I feel like I can't catch sometimes when that's the case.

HILL             YA HAVE TO FREEZE THEm when still alive ................its too late if they are already dead .....some guys just freeze the whole bags , while others put them in  a number of plastic bags .... some large enough for a trip  & other mixed them in with   fresh ones ><> &&& some smash up the whole bunch with & throw them over ,,

I think you would have a bait that would work for a hit or two and then would be a useless empty shell. I find that dead crabs have all the tasty bits wash out and there is a empty shell that gets no bites. I would imagine that as long as you kept them in well oxygenated water with some food like mako mike said they would be fine. I buy my crabs from a commercial guy so this would be way too much effort and cost way more than the 15 bucks I pay for 35 pounds of em. 

i use frozen asian crabs all the time.  Time is always against me when it comes to lifting rocks.

I'll let them marinade in a bucket of kosher salt for a day or two before freezing them.  The togs hit them hard.

When they thaw out, I throw them back in the freezer.  the smellier, the better.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

7 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

i use frozen asian crabs all the time.  Time is always against me when it comes to lifting rocks.

I'll let them marinade in a bucket of kosher salt for a day or two before freezing them.  The togs hit them hard.

When they thaw out, I throw them back in the freezer.  the smellier, the better.

Wait, what does it do to marinade in salt? Wouldn't that make them go bad?

23 mins ago, foxfai said:

Wait, what does it do to marinade in salt? Wouldn't that make them go bad?

Figured it would make them stay on the hook better :shrug:

Probably doesnt work like that, but the togs love them

1 min ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Figured it would make them stay on the hook better :shrug:

Probably doesnt work like that, but the togs love them

Oh lol.... I mean my friend salted squids and use them for fishing. I though you have a new way to manage them and make them more tastier. :howdy:

On 12/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, clammer said:

HILL             YA HAVE TO FREEZE THEm when still alive ................its too late if they are already dead .....some guys just freeze the whole bags , while others put them in  a number of plastic bags .... some large enough for a trip  & other mixed them in with   fresh ones ><> &&& some smash up the whole bunch with & throw them over ,,

Thanks, I figured as much haha. I meant when I have a couple dead ones in the group I feel like they taint the rest, or maybe it just means the rest are about to die and just aren't that good as bait anymore. For me, seems like the more 'frisky' they are the better bait they are, even if the legs are removed and big ones cut in half so the bait's locomotion is no longer a factor.

Sometimes it is hard for me to get bait so I've frozen green crabs and done well.  Also, after a trip I'll freeze them if I know I won't be going soon.   I only freeze live ones.   Don't like to have dead crabs hanging out with the live ones.  No salt.   I tried that and they don't freeze as well.   Do they hold up as well on the hook, no, but they do fine.  While I prefer fresh, I have no issues using frozen.   

Edited by notime