BrianBM

Jigs, circle hooks, and pork rind

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

If we fish for stripers with bait, we hafta use circle hooks. OK, got that.

New York so defines bait as to include pork rind. So if I toss a bucktail with a pork rind, the jig is supposed to have a circle hook on it. Question. Is anybody making bucktails with circle hooks?

I s'pose I can take a fluke ball, add a split ring or two and then a circle hook, and use it as I would use a more typical bucktail. I haven't seen a bucktail with a circle hook. Anyone know of any bucktails made with circle hooks?

15 hours ago, BrianBM said:

If we fish for stripers with bait, we hafta use circle hooks. OK, got that.

New York so defines bait as to include pork rind. So if I toss a bucktail with a pork rind, the jig is supposed to have a circle hook on it. Question. Is anybody making bucktails with circle hooks?

I s'pose I can take a fluke ball, add a split ring or two and then a circle hook, and use it as I would use a more typical bucktail. I haven't seen a bucktail with a circle hook. Anyone know of any bucktails made with circle hooks?

The definition that includes pork rind as bait no longer applies to the situation.  Instead of using a definition appropriate to freshwater angling, the DEC ultimately used one that makes sense for the salt, and does not treat pork rind as a bait.,

Now, bait is only a "marine or aquatic organism or terrestrial invertebrate."  Given that pork rind comes from pigs, and pigs are terrestrial vertebrates, it now falls outside the definition.

9 hours ago, hobobob said:

There goes my seapig farming idea. 

Alas .... but I'm sure you'll have another brainstorm soon. 

How about genetically engineering a sandworm with internally synthesize silk fibers, so it stays on the hook no matter how hard you cast? I offer you this idea for free.

What company is still making pork rind trailers?  

Not the synthetic ones.  I saw ACME is bringing back the Uncle Josh line.  But at the moment only offer 2 baits. 

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Not the synthetic ones.  I saw ACME is bringing back the Uncle Josh line.  But at the moment only offer 2 baits. 

The only one i have seen atleast locally is osprey custom tackle. There quite pricey but they look like the originals. 

1 hour ago, Grummantigerman said:

The only one i have seen atleast locally is osprey custom tackle. There quite pricey but they look like the originals. 

I used ospreys and was not happy with them. If you do use them make sure you use a different jar. The jar they come in leaks everywhere 

1 hour ago, Grummantigerman said:

Osprey!  TY!!   I could not remember that name!

As far as price. Have u seen the prices on the new UJ frogs...

Edited by PSegnatelli

14 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Just make your own.

If you do it now, it will be ready for season opening next year.

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

Just make your own.

If you do it now, it will be ready for season opening next year.

I'm just using chamois.  Got some new shears coming and gonna try to make some different trailers. 

I've dyed a few pieces and I'm gonna soak them in GULP juice. 

Also, one thing I noticed this year was how many shrimp I caught in my traps. Way more shrimp than I thought in LIS!  

I have GULP shrimp recharge juice and I'm thinkin about a crustacean shape trailer. Small bucktail. Crawl & hop along.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

29 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm just using chamois.  Got some new shears coming and gonna try to make some different trailers. 

I've dyed a few pieces and I'm gonna soak them in GULP juice. 

Also, one thing I noticed this year was how many shrimp I caught in my traps. Way more shrimp than I thought in LIS!  

I have GULP shrimp recharge juice and I'm thinkin about a crustacean shape trailer. Small bucktail. Crawl & hop along.  

I tried that few times. While they do work, it's much more flimsy than pork. I think the pork has a slower flutter creating better swimming action. Could have been a myriad of reasons as to why I had less hook ups with the chamois, but thankfully DEC has exempted pork from those original rules. 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, hobobob said:

There goes my seapig farming idea. 

They already have those.  Better known as seals...:p

Disclaimer:  seals are pretty cool anyway....

Edited by Skunkoff