BrianBM

Ice Fishing, 2021-2022.

Rate this topic

382 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The green  tilts with the lower "running" flag gets your heart going when you run towards the hole!

I love the polar style tip ups because of the "propeller" on top. It's exciting to see that spin when a fish is running. 

Speaking of the polar style tilts, I know people either hate them or love them.

I love them, not just for the propeller. 

My favorite thing about them is the horizontal orientation of the spool that turns on the long vertical shift.

They turn so smooth and even, with no rattle or shimmy when a fish is running. 

The old fashioned tilts, especially cheap ones, have a very uneven rattle that creates drag and tension that causes some fish, trout in particular, to drop the bait.

Damn Otter got into my very small bait pond. Two days in a row the trap has been empty. 

Tonight I watched him catch about a dozen in five minutes. 

Not sure if the video will play but I also attached a crapy pic of him with a medium heavy in his mouth. 

The SOB is gonna clean me out before the ice forms.

VID_89211117_051239_779.mp4

20211213_154402.jpg

Respected Ma forum member, stifftip, though a nice guy, is somewhat technically challenged.  So he asked me to post this photo.

An electric ice auger, weighs about 5lbs.  Kinda cool. 

1749516304514762831.jpg

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Respected Ma forum member, stifftip, though a nice guy, is somewhat technically challenged.  So he asked me to post this photo.

1749516304514762831.jpg

I do the same. I still use my 10in gas when chasing bass and pike but when I'm jigging I use a 8in hand auger attached to a drill. 

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

1749516304514762831.jpg

How long of an extension cord does that come with?

How many holes can you drill with those batteries?  

Back in my jigging days, I would often cut 20-30 holes per day with my chisel. Is that electric drill rig capable of that?

The auger blade and screw shaft is a 5” strike master with w changeable blades a ION extended and a 20v dewalt drill and 2w battery,with a full charge and 5” of cape ice I get about 60 holes then just change the battery   No more dragging a 25lb jiffy w gas  btw I have pulled a 36” pike through that 5in hole but mostly looking for monster yellow perch 

I would often cut 20-30 holes per day with my chisel. Is that electric drill rig capable of that?

With my Ridge and 6" Mora I can cut 40+ with a 4amp battery with the ice we have been having the last few years. I can also cut plenty of holes with my 8", but I don't use it that often. It is the way to go!

1 hour ago, nateD said:

Been using a k drill and Milwaukee for 5 years or so.75C09136-91F9-4275-81B7-82519080D449.jpeg.75dd8ed461e0bb61bbe3e8012f8bd5a7.jpeg

The clam adapter plate is great. I’m not sure why more people don’t use them. It’s so much easier on the wrist and protects the drill from sitting on the ice. I have the same with a 6” strike master lazer auger. I would like to get a 7 or 8” instead though.