BrianBM

Ice Fishing, 2021-2022.

Rate this topic

287 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

So you just break out your sounding lead and take another reading. :) 

I think I have a sounder in every pocket of my bibs, it’s like those things want to be at the bottom of the lake some days.

34 mins ago, mikez2 said:

20211207_082512.jpg

Beauties, never had much luck trapping shiners but I’ve gone and scooped a ton of mummies before and they live a long time with just a bubbler and water changes. Shiners definitely preferred though.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Better than buttons!?! That's blasphemy. :laugh:.   Buttons on your tilts was a time honored tradition among all central Ma ice fishermen. 

Not to mention that most of us fish in 10 feet or less water and if you're fishing the same ponds, the buttons don't move more than a foot or two.   and the buttons wind right up on the line.    Choosing the right buttons and putting them through the right holes is helpful too!   I move my buttons with my teeth usually:p

5 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I scouted a potential new bait trapping location and hit pay dirt.

Now I have to scramble to get my bait tank up and running. Luckily I can just steal filter media from my indoor aquariums to Jumpstart the filter cycle. 

It's not ideal because I'll have to cut holes in the ice to trap.

My last spot was in a warm water discharge that never froze. Unfortunately the beavers and invasive rushes screwed that spot.

Still, anything is better than doing the bait shop shuffle, sometimes driving an hour round trip, paying $5.00 or more a dozen and often having them die in the bucket. 

20211207_082512.jpg

Nice looking haul Mike. On a side note I’m jealous of the 5.00 a dozen. I started trapping my own years ago when they hit 8.50 for heavy mediums.

1 hour ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Nice looking haul Mike. On a side note I’m jealous of the 5.00 a dozen. I started trapping my own years ago when they hit 8.50 for heavy mediums.

Yeah $5.00 is for mediums which are pretty small. You start asking for "heavy" and the price goes up fast.

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Better than buttons!?! That's blasphemy. :laugh:.   Buttons on your tilts was a time honored tradition among all central Ma ice fishermen. 

I agree. I’ve used buttons my entire life and never had an issue. 

I used to use buttons until I fished lakers and salmon in Maine. I now keep toothpicks in my pocket and make a slip knot in my line and stop the loop from pulling with a small piece of the toothpick. 1 toothpick takes care of 5 traps

if I had to buy bait for all my outings I couldn't afford to fish the way I do. The prices are outrageous. I haven't bought bait in 8 years. I stockpile up on all sizes from smalls and  mediums to 10in golden shiners. I got around 90 dozen going currently that I'm using for trout until we get ice. then I'll catch my larger bait for bass and pike.

20211116_231123.jpg

I'm really surprised.  I had no idea so many of you guys caught your own bait.

When I lived in central Ma I lived for ice fishing, and bait was always my nemesis.   I tried catching my own, but that was pretty much a flop.

Do you guys net or trap your own?

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm really surprised.  I had no idea so many of you guys caught your own bait.

When I lived in central Ma I lived for ice fishing, and bait was always my nemesis.   I tried catching my own, but that was pretty much a flop.

Do you guys net or trap your own?

Trap...a 2 day soak will usually get me 2-3 dozen.

I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I keep 6-7 dozen on hand, from December - March.

43 mins ago, DanCbass said:

Trap...a 2 day soak will usually get me 2-3 dozen.

I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I keep 6-7 dozen on hand, from December - March.

I think my problem was I didn't know any secret minnow ponds.    I knew an old timer who seined his own bait from the French River in Oxford.  He told me running a seine was a 2 occasionally a 3 man deal.    He would often share his bait with me. But he didn't catch only minnows. While he caught some minnows, the bulk of his bait was suckers, dace, yellow perch and other unidentified fish.  I found the suckers were the bait of choice.