BrianBM

Ice Fishing, 2021-2022.

Rate this topic

287 posts in this topic

I took a ride over the bridge today looking around I found NO safe ice in Plymouth looked to 20 miles inland big and small pond . Most have a skim  or nothing on the big ponds  so if you find any let me know . Cape side less 

25 mins ago, stifftip said:

I took a ride over the bridge today looking around I found NO safe ice in Plymouth looked to 20 miles inland big and small pond . Most have a skim  or nothing on the big ponds  so if you find any let me know . Cape side less 

Comet Pond.

Comet no not that far north.but I know ice angels that right now are on ponds in millbury and Sutton in Worcester country 21/2 to 4”  maybe Saturday I will go to the club pond oxford for some trout jiggling 

1 min ago, stifftip said:

Comet no not that far north.but I know ice angels that right now are on ponds in millbury and Sutton in Worcester country 21/2 to 4”  maybe Saturday I will go to the club pond oxford for some trout jiggling 

Plenty of ice here in NW RI...4+" and counting.

2 mins ago, stifftip said:

Um....I was just there today.dont forget your creepers.

I might hit it soon I was just looking today. 

2 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

Sunday might be the day for us in SE Mass. I’ve got ice cover on my pond in wareham (not close to safe yet). Tomorrow looks warm but Saturday and Sunday might solidify it. Is my thinking correct?

High 40’s today and possibly rain tomorrow might trash the ice we’ve made so far. 

4 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

Sunday might be the day for us in SE Mass. I’ve got ice cover on my pond in wareham (not close to safe yet). Tomorrow looks warm but Saturday and Sunday might solidify it. Is my thinking correct?

Wind is going to be a factor on Saturday and it may keep some waters open no matter how cold it is. Sunday looks better, but then it'll get very mild again on Monday with rain. That's the problem with that area, never seem to get a string of very cold, calm nights anymore. I'd be cautious, 

The Worcester tilts and the never fail  tilt are the same . they were made near Kelly square the village area 1950-60  sold at spags 1.99$ and everywhere else 2.50 they were wood cross w brass spools red cloth flag, I have about 15. For trout and perch Some need a serious repair as most are 60 years old 

2 hours ago, stifftip said:

The Worcester tilts and the never fail  tilt are the same . they were made near Kelly square the village area 1950-60  sold at spags 1.99$ and everywhere else 2.50 they were wood cross w brass spools red cloth flag, I have about 15. For trout and perch Some need a serious repair as most are 60 years old 

Dave, 

You're correct.  My uncle Jerry told me they were made in that area.  But the ones he gave me predated those.

He gave me his set when I was in jr high, the mid 1960s, and they looked as old as the hills then.  it was clear they were all made by hand, as they were all different sizes. He told me he tried ice fishing once when he was young, hated it, never went again.

But the spools on these tilts were so cool. Hand made from copper plate and pipe, and soldered to hold them together.   Wish I never threw them away.

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Dave, 

You're correct.  My uncle Jerry told me they were made in that area.  But the ones he gave me predated those.

He gave me his set when I was in jr high, the mid 1960s, and they looked as old as the hills then.  it was clear they were all made by hand, as they were all different sizes. He told me he tried ice fishing once when he was young, hated it, never went again.

But the spools on these tilts were so cool. Hand made from copper plate and pipe, and soldered to hold them together.   Wish I never threw them away.

I would've taken them. :p

I was on the ice yesterday club pond oxford area I had 31/2” to 5” of ok ice .   As for Jigger fishing for trout conditions were perfect for cutting holes ,using my electric drill and 5” auger I drilled 50 holes ez. No problem with plenty of power for 50 more holes  . Great.  But what I saw was 5 other fishermen all but one , had a electric  auger nice and quiet   I iced 3 bows c/r I don’t eat them,13-14” and rolled 2 more  all on the jiggle stick  with the   

So I go out to my truck with cap  to get my ice fishing stuff to bring in and unthaw  it was a hard rain when I got home so I left jigger sticks and battery auger in back well it’s frozen closed  good like until the thaw  

There was a company called "Forty Up Tackle" in Westfield Mass. that made a state of the art tilt a few years ago, I don't know if he is still at it or maybe the daughter is.............