BrianBM

Ice Fishing, 2021-2022.

Rate this topic

382 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

Come on Mike, really?

You need to get out more in the summer of '22 and see what we face on the canal almost every morning, all day. :laugh:

PANO_2021-08-14_06-00-46.jpg

IMG_20210814_060453.jpg

IMG_20210813_053046.jpg

Don't paint the whole Canal as being like that, you are looking at one small area with easy access, parking on the water and fish.................

Saltwater guys don’t think freshwater can be burned because who cares about freshwater fish? Freshwater guys think salt spots can’t be burned because the ocean is huge.

7 mins ago, nateD said:

Saltwater guys don’t think freshwater can be burned because who cares about freshwater fish? Freshwater guys think salt spots can’t be burned because the ocean is huge.

You are probably to young to remember opening day in Mass................Take a ride to any of the popular fishing gates at the Quabbin the day before the opener, cars are parked along both sides of the road starting a couple of days before.

2 hours ago, stifftip said:

Bob g. Do you remember eddy pond and the people off Worcester st who rented boats  on the pond Before they put the new high way rt 52 in and took the house out 1965 to 1970 ish   Just another flashback 

Rt 52?  I sort of recall an old house, but I think they took it when they built Rt 290.  

Back in those days Eddy Pond had a real reputation as a top notch bass pond.

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

That looks like the old Century Sportsmens Club ice derby. :laugh:

That is a random picture I found but that is what my first ice spot looks like nowadays after the internet figured out it freezes first.:)

28 mins ago, b-ware said:

Don't paint the whole Canal as being like that, you are looking at one small area with easy access, parking on the water and fish.................

Yea, you right again Bernardo. The rest of the canal is practically a ghost town. What was I thinking. :sarc:

That this argument continues is only because some just don't get what modern ice fishing has become. 

There are way, way, way more guys ice fishing than ever before. 

Technology breakthroughs like warmer clothes and boots and especially electronics have brought out the tenderfoots and mediocre fishermen that historically never lasted in the game.

You tube videos, FB groups, Instagram and forums give the tenderfoots inspiration and their own gopros give them dreams of becoming YT heros.

Meanwhile, recent years have frequently given us unnatural warm winters where ice comes later and later or not at all depending on where you are.

So we have way more fishermen competing for way less ice and everybody is over anxious to get on safe ice. Especially during school vacation. 

Trying to fight for a spot on a small pond where maybe six cars can park but dozens and dozens of guys want to fish is just as bad as any canal Hotspot.

Having a bunch of idiots show up and put their traps inside your set or take over holes you drilled is just as aggravating as any of the canal shenanigans. 

Seeing yet another pond closed to access forever because of the ice fishing hoards is something canal fishermen don't have to worry about. 

Yeah, I stand by my comment about safe ice spot burning.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yea, you right again Bernardo. The rest of the canal is practically a ghost town. What was I thinking. :sarc:

I tell ya Bob.......Bernie has a perch right down from his hooch at BSP that is all his.  No one near him.

The rock is unstable, but he fishes from it.  Someday he'll take a header.  Been telling him that for years.  Goes in one ear and out the other.  Not more I can do.  I try my best.  

Just now, Joe G said:

I tell ya Bob.......Bernie has a perch right down from his hooch at BSP that is all his.  No one near him.

The rock is unstable, but he fishes from it.  Someday he'll take a header.  Been telling him that for years.  Goes in one ear and out the other.  Not more I can do.  I try my best.  

A few times this summer I got up at 3am, to fish the BSP.  Saw my old friend and neighbor George Eldridge at the gate, had a nice conversation with him. He wished me good luck, but warned me, you won't be alone.

Anyway, once on the canal there were all of 15 trucks parked at the railing. Walked to the rocks, no place to fish. I'll qualify that. There was room to fish if I was willing to force my way in between a couple guys, and we all fish 15' apart.:dismay:

Funny,  the year before I drove in there a few times, and not only did I see George Eldridge, but also Hayden Cogshell, and my old buddy and former BPD chief Jake Gould. 

58 mins ago, nateD said:

That is a random picture I found but that is what my first ice spot looks like nowadays after the internet figured out it freezes first.:)

I hear ya...same with the pond I fish. Start with the letter W?

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ya know Bob, you might want to be the chief ball buster here, but let me say this, I more than likely spend more time on the canal than you, I venture furthur away from the parking lots than you and that in the day time.  Dropping names about the gate keepers is fine but it means absoloutly nothing in this conversation.

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

I don't know what rock you are fantasing about but the only thing unstable is some posters here...............................