BrianBM

Ice Fishing, 2021-2022.

Rate this topic

287 posts in this topic

So, let's see how this works out.

There might be some ice to fish through at higher elevations. It seems a little early, though.  Has anyone been out yet?  And not fallen through the ice?

Well ... the solstice will get here. Eventually. Whether it brings the traditional temperatures with it, or after it, remains to be seen.

Related question. Do fish caught through the ice in winter taste any better/worse/different than those same fish caught in warmer weather?

My buddy and I hunted deer in the Berkshires for years. Everytime the topic of ice fishing was discussed, people always mentioned this pond called Stockbridge Bowl.  Any intel on it?

57 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Related question. Do fish caught through the ice in winter taste any better/worse/different than those same fish caught in warmer weather?

Yes absolutely better. At least that's my perception. 

I don't eat much freshwater fish but when I do, they're ice caught. 

Being able to instantly kill, clean and put on ice probably helps.

Even better, when we fish places that allow fires, we often cook our catch right on the shore the day we catch it.

Something about a shore lunch that makes everything taste better. 

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Yes absolutely better. At least that's my perception. 

I don't eat much freshwater fish but when I do, they're ice caught. 

Being able to instantly kill, clean and put on ice probably helps.

Even better, when we fish places that allow fires, we often cook our catch right on the shore the day we catch it.

Something about a shore lunch that makes everything taste better. 

Sounds perfectly sensible to me.

5 mins ago, bdowning said:

I was in the boylston/sterling/princeton area yesterday. Nothing but skim ice and not much of that.

We had skim yesterday that's all gone today.

Well a new post with a question , does any one use just braid on the reels rather then dacron and how is it . Do you need to wax it so that it will not freeze, This was something I recall doing in another time frame . How many yards do you really need on the spools, I seem to recall 50 yard filler spools . I just tuned up a few of the old, but new ice tippets , now I will lubricate  up all moving parts . Four traps and a jigging rod and reel will give my son his 5 hole allowance when he starts to fish the ponds when they freeze in Maine  Peace and prayers

Dacron/Squidding line on the tip-ups for me, but I do use braid on some of my jigging rods. I love it for jigging deep for lakers, but it is in the mid-twenty it freezes up too much outside a shelter. Using braid/spectrum on a tip-up would be expensive and needless. You would need to use a line in the 200lb range to not cut your hands on a good run. It would also cut into the ice at the bottom of the hole with the possibility of you hanging up there at a bad time... Unless you have kite string size spools laying around (early use for Spectra), I would not consider it. 

1 hour ago, Stripernut1 said:

Dacron/Squidding line on the tip-ups for me, but I do use braid on some of my jigging rods. I love it for jigging deep for lakers, but it is in the mid-twenty it freezes up too much outside a shelter. Using braid/spectrum on a tip-up would be expensive and needless. You would need to use a line in the 200lb range to not cut your hands on a good run. It would also cut into the ice at the bottom of the hole with the possibility of you hanging up there at a bad time... Unless you have kite string size spools laying around (early use for Spectra), I would not consider it. 

Whatever line you decide to put on your tilts, don't forget to add a button to each one.