Mr. Sophistication

Reel for Teramar inshore

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a Shimano Teramar inshore rod (southeast edition) that I need to find a reel for.

Specs: 7'6", casting, heavy power, fast action, 1/2-2oz.

I've never fished a baitcaster before so not sure what size reel to get. I was thinking about a Calcutta 400B. Maybe an Abu 7000.

I plan to use this setup mainly for fishing the inlet for Snook. Bottom fish for flounder. Throw lures off the beach.

300 or even a 200 size will get the job done. I like the Calcutta D's and Conquest. Brake access on the Conquest is easy to get too without taking the side plate off. 

300 size low-profile baitcaster.  I like my Okuma Komodo 364 SS.  On my Lami 7030C it's about as close as there is to a do-it-all northeast inshore setup.  Shimano Tranx and Daiwa Lexa HD are also very good.

Tranx 200 or 300 depending on which reel balances better on the rod. The Tranx 300 does not throw light weights very well though which could be a problem if you think you'd be throwing 1/2 to 3/4 oz lures every now and then. 

Thanks for all the recommendations.

What makes the low profile baitcaster preferable over the round?

Also, I noticed a lot of baitcasting reels recommend using heavier braid, 50, 65, or 80lb. Is that to prevent backlash?

21 hours ago, Mr. Sophistication said:

Thanks for all the recommendations.

What makes the low profile baitcaster preferable over the round?

Also, I noticed a lot of baitcasting reels recommend using heavier braid, 50, 65, or 80lb. Is that to prevent backlash?

An LP reel will generally accomodate a bigger main gear than a similarly sized round reel.  A bigger main gear gives the manufacturer more options for retrieve ratio and gear strength.

5 hours ago, mike1010 said:

An LP reel will generally accomodate a bigger main gear than a similarly sized round reel.  A bigger main gear gives the manufacturer more options for retrieve ratio and gear strength.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

37 mins ago, RWP said:

I have that rod. I use a tranx 300 on it.

Don't worry about light lures, the rod doesn't load up with less than an 1oz of weight.

Yeah, seems pretty stiff, I plan to use it for paddletails and bucktails 1oz, 1.5oz, 2oz.

What species do you target with that setup?

2 mins ago, Mr. Sophistication said:

Yeah, seems pretty stiff, I plan to use it for paddletails and bucktails 1oz, 1.5oz, 2oz.

What species do you target with that setup?

Whatever is biting. Reds, striper, etc. I've even caught a few 50+ lb stingrays with it.