bronson

Older spheros 30 off or buy 2021?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Wait…. The 2014 version? That one has a higher starting price in all sizes and especially in the 5/6k. So, the $30 off isn’t even a consideration if that’s the case. 

Honestly, I think it’s a great value buy for the old one and the new one. Just a little on the heavy side and I would err on the new because the technology always improves. 

6 hours ago, EricDice said:

Wait…. The 2014 version? That one has a higher starting price in all sizes and especially in the 5/6k. So, the $30 off isn’t even a consideration if that’s the case. 

Honestly, I think it’s a great value buy for the old one and the new one. Just a little on the heavy side and I would err on the new because the technology always improves. 

Thx! That’s what I was thinking… 

6 mins ago, bronson said:

Thanks for replies… all good 

For the money? I would get the older one.

And if your question was about the older version of the Shimano Saragosa SW, I would have the same opinion / recommendation. In recent memory the only reel series I can think of, where significant changes were made in design, function & price point, would be the Daiwa BG spinning reels. The “bang for buck” King of salt water spinning reels, IMHO.

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

For the money? I would get the older one.

And if your question was about the older version of the Shimano Saragosa SW, I would have the same opinion / recommendation. In recent memory the only reel series I can think of, where significant changes were made in design, function & price point, would be the Daiwa BG spinning reels. The “bang for buck” King of salt water spinning reels, IMHO.

My point on the money:

I think the 2014 6k was $199. So, $30 off is still more expensive than the $139 for the 2021 version in 6000. 

4 mins ago, EricDice said:

My point on the money:

I think the 2014 6k was $199. So, $30 off is still more expensive than the $139 for the 2021 version in 6000. 

Interesting ... did not know that. Still I think the older Shimano Spheros is more of a battle bot. I think weight of the reel on a particular rod might be more of a discriminator. But I personally spend a fair amount of time & money on having nicely "balanced" rod & reel combinations.

Older has the parallel reel foot and main shaft which produces a rod pulsation on many rods. 

Newer has a tilted main shaft which is like most other reels, less pulsation. 

Check the prices on the replacement parts. The older Spheros gears are much more expensive than the new ones. I have a question about what that means and whether the newer gears are as high quality. Maybe someone knows.  

Are the smaller size newer Spheros in stores yet?  

Edited by TopStriperAngler

1 hour ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Older has the angled rotor which produces a rod pulsation on many rods. 

Newer has a parallel rotor and reel foot which is like most other reels. 

Check the prices on the replacement parts. The older Spheros gears are much more expensive than the new ones. I have a question about what that means and whether the newer gears are as high quality. Maybe someone knows.  

Are the smaller size newer Spheros in stores yet?  

My 6k is already a pepper grinder after two weeks of using it but I’m fishing it probably right at it’s limit. caught a few larger snook and slot gags with really heavy drag for the reel. Took it apart and the black coating was already gone on the main gear where the teeth mesh and I could see visible wear. I can take it apart again and post a pic if you’d like it’s pretty wild. My buddy has a old 6K that’s been beyond abused and it still feels like when it was new. That being said it’s $140 reel and I attribute the crappy material to covid issues and I can just send it for warranty/service in 10 months when the supply chain is hopefully better, if not the new gears are like $25. Every single other reel I’ve bought during covid has been garbage too regarding material issues in one way or another. 

Edited by Snook_Slayr

15 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Get the old one it probably doesn’t have covid gears/materials. Either or are good though and basically identical

26 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

My 6k is already a pepper grinder after two weeks of using it but I’m fishing it probably right at it’s limit. caught a few larger snook and slot gags with really heavy drag for the reel. Took it apart and the black coating was already gone on the main gear where the teeth mesh and I could see visible wear. I can take it apart again and post a pic if you’d like it’s pretty wild. My buddy has a old 6K that’s been beyond abused and it still feels like when it was new. That being said it’s $140 reel and I attribute the crappy material to covid issues and I can just send it for warranty/service in 10 months when the supply chain is hopefully better, if not the new gears are like $25. Every single other reel I’ve bought during covid has been garbage too regarding material issues in one way or another. 

I see this often pertaining to the guys in FL cranking down drags and expecting it to be fine....From Saltigas, Certates, Through Salt X, VS and ZB......and every shimano inbetween.

It's the winching against the heavy pressures that does it.

Outside of that situation.....it's a non issue.

Same reason why Tuna reels last longer nowadays.....it ain't stump pulling

I have a older 8000 (love it), and wanted a 6000.  An older one went up in the BST, asking $180 or so.  I didn't find real good info comparing the older version to the 2021, so I offered $150.  Offer was declined. 

I ended up buying a 2021 6000 for ~$130 on Black Friday.   Not sure if this is helpful; just sharing my experience.  Also, I may be wrong but I think I saw that Scooby is planning an "older spheros vs. 2021", but I don't think that's out yet.

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I see this often pertaining to the guys in FL cranking down drags and expecting it to be fine....From Saltigas, Certates, Through Salt X, VS and ZB......and every shimano inbetween.

It's the winching against the heavy pressures that does it.

Outside of that situation.....it's a non issue.

Same reason why Tuna reels last longer nowadays.....it ain't stump pulling

I have a feeling they did skim something in the new gosa. I can see pitting already on some of the chrome parts. The roller bearing is starting to make squealing sound. I got mine at end of may. Still have no issue with the old version after all these years. 

1 min ago, hobobob said:

I have a feeling they did skim something in the new gosa. I can see pitting already on some of the chrome parts. The roller bearing is starting to make squealing sound. I got mine at end of may. Still have no issue with the old version after all these years. 

in all fairness, I've experienced that for 30 years :)

I think that qualifies as pre covid :)

lol