SallyGrowler

Tile Removal - demo fork or jack hammer?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Need to demo tile floor in new home.

Heavy mudset saltillo tiles on concrete slab.

Grout lines are about an inch or so.

Saltillo is notorious for being brittle.

Was going to rent jack hammer for $300 per day, or buy a demo fork - see honey badger.

Fork videos are convincing, but none of the sub floors in their promos are solid concrete slabs. Most are durorock and plywood which show flex and give when using the fork effectively.

Opinions?

I use a smaller Bosch hammer drill with a flat bit on it for tile floor removal. Works great. If I need to get the old mortar or grout off in order to provide a really smooth surface, I mask up and hit the floor with a grinder.

Full size jackhammer is overkill, IMO you need a subtler tool like this hammer from HF for $110. There's also a smaller one for $20 less.

61ad08361cc75_electrichammer.PNG.e503e16e9a838fd12ebd1ae9d586eb62.PNG

If you have a good compressor an air hammer like this one works well too. I'll be using it soon to strip brickface tiles off a brick chimney.

92037_I.jpg

Edited by gellfex

1 hour ago, Chunkah said:

I use a smaller Bosch hammer drill with a flat bit on it for tile floor removal. Works great. If I need to get the old mortar or grout off in order to provide a really smooth surface, I mask up and hit the floor with a grinder.

Yup. A lighter smaller hammer drill is much easier to handle for more than a little while. So something like this is what

I use when removing tile from a wall, floor or ceiling, when possible. However, if you are doing a massive amount, like many rooms or a whole large house, then a standup model that you can rent from homies might be more appropriate. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 2.47.31 PM.png

I am removing approximately 1100 sq ft of saltillo floor tile. It appears to be mud set rather than thin set on concrete slabs.

I figured if i popped a few tiles with ballpeen hammer and mason chisel, the demo fork would  be a good tool. 

The hammer drill may be the way to go.

20 mins ago, ted527 said:

1100 sq ft I would be looking to rent one of these

That's pretty cool, and amazingly, still looks like hard work. Though it would have been easier if the dude had been going with, instead of across, the running bond pattern.

Rent a demo hammer, much $$ less than a jackhammer. A  lump hammer and a heavy duty, flat bladed concrete shovel can sometimes get it up.

What @Chunkah and @gellfex suggested.

I picked up a Bosch SDS roto hammer a couple of years ago for 2 bathroom demos, it was the best few hundred $ I ever spent.

Made demo a piece of cake on tile walls / floor from a home built in the 50's.

Yep. Rotary hammer drill is a great, if seldom used, tool. Mine also got a workout breaking up ice dams during the winter of 2015. The trick was to make sure the ice blocks did not take out me, the cord, or the ladder on their slide to earth...