bob_G

Radioactive water into CCB. Are they kidding!

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Holtec, the company which is

decommissioning the Plymouth Power Plant has informed the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that they intend to dump their radioactive waste water into CCB (Cape Cod Bay)!

I couldn't believe my eyes upon reading it.

Why not, NRC has always let the nuke companies get away with almost anything. It is just an investment company that owns it now and that will give them the best return on their money... I am a capitalist and believe in making money, but the GREED that is going on these days is not sustainable. Or maybe they are jealous of the nuke waste in the Pacific and wanted some of their own... 

I couldn’t read the Globe article because of the paywall, but did read the article on CC Times.

The headline is a bit sensational, as you need to read most of the way through the article to learn that their discharges would meet federal EPA NPDES (National Pollution Discharge Elimination System) standards.  

Still, I think every alternative should be considered before dumping it into the ocean.

Edited by Jonesy02719

37 mins ago, bob_G said:

decommissioning the Plymouth Power Plant has informed the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that they intend to dump their radioactive waste water into CCB (Cape Cod Bay)!

I couldn't believe my eyes upon reading it.

What next?:shrug:

5 mins ago, Jonesy02719 said:

I couldn’t read the Globe article because of the paywall, but did read the article on CC Times.

The headline is a bit sensational, as you need to read most of the way through the article to learn that their discharges would meet federal EPA NPDES (National Pollution Discharge Elimination System) standards.  

Still, I think every alternative should be considered before dumping it into the ocean.

Yes, it was sensational. But it seems like more and more everyone's first and most cost effective (aka, cheap) option is dumping everything is our local waters.

HOLTEC HAS ALREADY DUMPED AT ANOTHER SITE THEY ARE ALSO DECOMMISSION.,It would appear from the article that it may be a consideration only at this time. My feelings are they should find another way to reduce the waste they want to discharge into Cape Cod bay. THat will reduce the profit however . Peace and Prayers

Personally not going to get too worked up about this, actually not going to get worked up at all. 

Every time there is a mention of anything being discharged into the water the pearl clutchers come out. 

10 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

HOLTEC HAS ALREADY DUMPED AT ANOTHER SITE THEY ARE ALSO DECOMMISSION.,It would appear from the article that it may be a consideration only at this time. My feelings are they should find another way to reduce the waste they want to discharge into Cape Cod bay. THat will reduce the profit however . Peace and Prayers

I never really gave it much thought in the past but it looks like dumping low level radioactive waste water has been SOP for years.

Not at all saying it's a good thing. Just saying it's nothing new.

This recent story seems to be just another chance for the CCT to sell more papers with their sensational headlines. 

10 mins ago, DAQ said:

Personally not going to get too worked up about this, actually not going to get worked up at all. 

Every time there is a mention of anything being discharged into the water the pearl clutchers come out. 

So those among us who value our environment, and want to protect it are now labeled 'pearl clutches".  

Interesting. That's disappointing. :(

11 mins ago, DAQ said:

It sells papers or at least gets the papers' stories repeated across the interweb. 

We live in a world of the sound byte and the headline. 

Your average person can't make it past the first paragraph, if they bother even trying to get past the headline. 

Not saying radioactive waste or any other kind of pollution is OK.

Just a comment on the sensational and misleading press and the tendency of the public to get worked up by same.

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

decommissioning the Plymouth Power Plant.........

..........has never decommissioned or dismantled a nuclear plant.

What could possibly go wrong.    :dismay:

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Yes, it was sensational. But it seems like more and more everyone's first and most cost effective (aka, cheap) option is dumping everything is our local waters.

yeah, it continues to be a trend.  We take part also,  look at all the soft plastics getting left in the water these days.  It's not a lot (relative), or a current health hazard, until it is.

Edited by chisler

I would certainly not agree that "more and more" the trend is to dump waste in the water. 

In fact the opposite is true. 

Historically everything went in the rivers or ocean.

Starting with the Clean Water Act in 1972, the trend has absolutely been to dump less and treat more.

Every decade since has shown more and stricter laws. More treatment, stricter regs, more oversight. 

Virtually every major river system and numerous other water bodies have watchdog groups that monitor water quality. They go out and collect water samples monthly. They take their kayaks right up the effluent channel of the treatment plants. They pressure legislators to pass even more regs such as the wastewater notification law last year.

The fact is, the water quality everywhere is better than it has been in any of our lifetimes. Even nasty rivers like the Merrimack, Nashua and Blackstone are in the best shape they've been in probably 100 years.

Boston harbor is another example. 

I'm old enough to remember when all those water bodies were horrid, dead, stinky places nobody would ever swim and few fish survived. 

Now thousands regularly swim in them and numerous fish species are returning.

For whatever reason, telling stories about improvement in water quality isn't news worthy.

Instead, the reactionary, sensational news sources like CCT to, name just one, find it works better to get people all stirred up with horror stories. 

People read the sensational headlines and don't bother looking any further. 

Hence the false perception that "more and more" the "first" choice is to dump waste in the river.

None of this should be interpreted as me saying it's OK to dump radioactive waste or any other pollution. 

I'm just trying to use my experience and training to provide a different perspective. 

Edited by mikez2