chisler

Korkers Casttrax for winter hike

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried out a set of Korkers overshoes for winter hiking?  I plan on doing a 900 ft elevation- 4.5 mile trail, packed ice, frozen turf: My thoughts are that these are too 'sloppy' and would get old after a mile or 2 in.  This is a last minute decision, and getting optimal equipment is not an option for this, its go or no go.

Take them. Can remove if they hinder, and even a bearable hour would help.

They weigh too little to matter if you end up tossing em in the bag.

Unless of course you're packing to the ounce.

I decided to just cancel the hike as I've never tried hiking any distance with them on.   I think I could have made it, but I was not in my comfort zone with a 'go' decision; and playing games in freezing conditions is not advisable. 

Reports back said that the trail area was mostly ice covered. So,  a local shop has a thing called- Korkers Ice Runners  with BOA system. I am visiting them during the week to get setup for next week.   

On a funny side note, I was talking to a co worker about snow shoeing, he got on a path of describing his shoes and saying how they keep him up atop the snow, I looked and him and said "I can strap sheets of plywood to my hoofs and I'm still going in..".  Equipment is a very personal thing....

Edited by chisler

2 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Take them. Can remove if they hinder, and even a bearable hour would help.

They weigh too little to matter if you end up tossing em in the bag.

Unless of course you're packing to the ounce.

Just don't have anything in the bag that could get punctured, lol.  I have Frogg Togg version spikes and they drained a 24oz PBR in my back pack one day.

Edited by Skunkoff

58 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Just don't have anything in the bag that could get punctured, lol.  I have Frogg Togg version spikes and they drained a 24oz PBR in my back pack one day.

Whoof.

Yeah I was imagining more of a strap-to-sides situation.

Internals would be dicey yeah.

2 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Way too clunky for hiking. You can get some much lower profile yaktrax cleats for $20.

yaktrax are great.  Cheap and work well even on ice.  Never thought about about how they would be for fishing shoes....

1 hour ago, rathrbefishn said:

yaktrax are great.  Cheap and work well even on ice.  Never thought about about how they would be for fishing shoes....

I tried mine on a pretty flat/stable  jetty once, the model I have isn’t nearly as grippy on rocks as my korkers. Definitely great for ice/winter hiking though, much less of a hassle to put on then korkers too.

You're setting yourself up for a miserable time.  Get the micro-spikes, yaktrax or even the korkers ice. 1lb on the feet is 5lbs in the backpack. The casttrax are made for standing, not walking miles and miles. 

i use my korker buckskin boots with the carbide spikes for hunting in the winter hiking up and down mountains crossing frozen rivers they work very well but are not very well insulated