rst3

Fishing is a Social Sport

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I like to go on fishing charters that are "open boat" types. I like meeting new people. I generally fish alone these days . Between covid, me being female(wives do not approve most of the time), and the three older guys i fished with for years have all now passed away. I think its a smart thing to have a fishing buddy, much safer.

26 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I like to go on fishing charters that are "open boat" types. I like meeting new people. I generally fish alone these days . Between covid, me being female(wives do not approve most of the time), and the three older guys i fished with for years have all now passed away. I think its a smart thing to have a fishing buddy, much safer.

I love fishing with my friends and usually stay out longer when I'm with them. I tend to scare myself a little when fishing alone and that usually ends the trip early. 

I should have kept my mouth shut. I could have banged that fish! :laugh:

Then we agreed to leave the area for other fish. :dismay:....oh man. Never leave fish for fish. That's an old rule. We went into a jungle 2 miles away....Think "Apocalypse Now" movie when they got out of the boat......we were in the jungle man. "Never get out of the boat man. Unless you are willing to go all the way." Rst3 is on a high after getting that nice bass. I got no bass feeling lousy. Then it starts raining, no rain coat. Rst3 offers his rain coat gratefully. I don't want it. I want my rain coat. Then I tell him honestly, "There's no bass here, lets get out here." I'm so pissed I stormed out of there. Didn't even wait for the man who knew how to get out of the jungle. Omg...:laugh:....I went down the rabbit hole.  Fell two times..."I don't need this ****, **** this place" I yelled on my knees as I had no korkers on the slippery rocks. :laugh: "I wish I had my kayak and boat" as my rod and reels are submerged in the water. I am hearing a text ring on phone its probably Rst3. But my hand is cut up bleeding and wet. I can't answer it. He probably thinks I am lost. I am lost! Finally I see a head lamp on the road. It's RST3, my savior! The light disappears up the path....he thinks I'm already at the truck. 
It was like being lost at sea seeing the ship keep going on the horizon. 

I finally climb up a berm and hoist up the tidal river by a tree. Then see the dirt road in the black. I get up back to the vehicle and RST3 comes over, "Man I was worried about you".  All I can say was " That was fun". 

We get back in the truck and head back to where the fish were and finally I get into bass and call RST3 over to get in on the action. We catch and then we laugh about it all the way home. :laugh:

Lessons:

1) Never Leave Fish For Fish

2) Never leave an area if you have no clue how to get back

3) Never Get Out Of The Boat! 

349F4DA0-63D2-4B34-8F53-68D914774801.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Very well said, I don't mind fishing alone but it's fun & games and a bit competetitve with your buddy's. I don't like when I hear when some boat fishermen act unruly and disrespectful towards each other during big money tournaments, that is not cool and now that angler only has dollar signs on the brain.... 

I have mixed feelings. 

I do alot of stuff alone and often prefer it. I have a hard time finding guys that want to do things my way. When I was younger I had a hard time finding guys that could keep up or had the same degree of crazy.

Now the opposite is true. I can't muster up the level of crazy my 15 year old has.

Some of my best memories of fishing involve being part of a group. Fishing with my dad as a kid. Fishing with my boys. Fishing with my elderly dad and my brothers. 

I have fond memories of the sandbar at the mouth of the Merrimack in the early 90s when a decent group of guys all lined up side by side, close enough to get to know each other. 

Same with RI breachways back before it blew up.

At the same time, some of my worst fishing experiences were because of crowds.

I haven't had fun one single time in my recent attempts to learn the canal. One of the few places I ended up in confrontations with other anglers.

The RI breachways have lost their luster because of the crowd as well. It's not so much there's more people. It's more the attitude of the crowd. 

Then of course there's the logistics of too many people. When you can't find a rock to stand on or place to squeeze into line or the rotation takes 15 minutes between casts or you can't even find a damn parking spot, it's easy to curse the mass of humanity. 

Edited by mikez2

Sometime 2 brains is better than 1. Sometimes 2 scouts is better than 1.

I mean if you always on fish every time you go out , then you might not want a chatty friend with you and being bother fishing alone. What about when you don't catch anything? You start thinking, is this the right place? Did I missed the fish? Too cold too warm? Using the wrong lure?

Thats when you turn to your partner and starts to brain storm. Maybe your partner is catching with a different lure. Or perhaps fish were in the bay area instead of out front. 

I personally hate fishing alone. 

You have to have the right people to fish with. If the person you are sharing with has potential to spill the beans to others that would be a headache. The people I fish with now don't do that. In the past I took my lumps just like everyone else. Share bear! :laugh:

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

You have to have the right people to fish with. If the person you are sharing with has potential to spill the beans to others that would be a headache. The people I fish with now don't do that. In the past I took my lumps just like everyone else. Share bear! :laugh:

You are right. It's just not everyone is hardcore as you do. :p But I admire your (any anyone else) efforts you put in.

For some that may be true however for folks like myself it was and is a life saver . My life exists because of fishing and that I can never repay that debt but sharing helps. Peace and Prayers

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

For some that may be true however for folks like myself it was and is a life saver . My life exists because of fishing and that I can never repay that debt but sharing helps. Peace and Prayers

And.....? Why was it a lifesaver and debt?

I'm with "The Riddler" Stay away from blabbermouths and realize there are more than you thought.

Highlander it is a long and confused life I have had . My early life began in the inner city of Boston with an alcoholic father among some of the folks that went to prison or died on the street in the place worst  than Hells Kitchen in New York .had it not been for some, honest ,non alcoholic and patriots of the time who took me under there wing to learn the ways of King Neptune I would not be here today. We learned how to protect ourselves and that took on many avenues among the various street gangs of the times . However it was fishing and praying that gave me life and it was fishing that also gave me life from three times legally departed into another time. I owe a life debt to fishing and also respect to those who helped me overcome a crime ridden surroundings by sharing what ever it was when I asked freely on any aspect of fishing that I have been able to build upon in the following years . It a very young age I could have made a living, selling all of the smelt, cod, striped bass,flounder, pollock , however I chose to remain a recreational fishermen for the rest of my life and have shared the fruit of my knowledge with those not as well off as myself in any way I can . I know that it has cost me something, however it did not matter to me as I owe this debt that I continue to pay for keeping me alive and giving me life. , Fishing helped me to become a patriot , serve my country, Raise a family where all three sons are prime examples of some one you would like to become. Fishing has helped me conduct many free fishing clinics in another time, Become a Boy Scout Scoutmaster, and along the way receive awards for my efforts. My local town involvements to help make Sandwich a better community has been recognized over the past years one as the citizen of the year and another for the volunteer of the year . I do not hold Poachers with any love as they destroy the very resource that has gave me life and keeps me alive today . I will continue to use what time I have left to always share the experiences here and elsewhere as paying back my debt for this life. Peace and Prayers       

Good post.  As Riddler said, you have to have the "right" partners.  I've fished with all kinds, some good, some not so good.   I love fishing with my son, he knows what he's doing, hard core when he needs to be, and not afraid of hard work to get on the fish.  He doesn't need "baby sitting" or hand holding.   Its the same with the rest of the crew we go out with.

Done are my days of fishing with those that need to call every shot, be the center of attention, or get pissy when they don't get their way.  Life is way to short to waste time with prima donnas.

For me, its more fun when I can share the fun with someone whos company I enjoy.

I agree that fishing is a social sport, one that is also not bad as an individual one.

Really good party boat trips (Walsh’s) occasionally tap into a group hunt sort of feel, people gaffing fish for each other automatically, things like that.