Savvy angler

Bucktails in the canal

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to SOL! Yes, jig them near the bottom (steady rod pops). You are going to lose some in the rocks. Probably a 2.5 up to 5oz. in the canal depending on depth and current. I don't know what they are using but my preference has been for the Andrus Jetty Casters with an Otter Lure tail or Fat Cow jig strip. Also check out Al Gag's Lures, he makes some nice custom lures with owner hooks for canal fishing!

Edited by MAGA

Every lure has it's place in the rotation. Doubt there's a stretch of water along the whole striper coast that a bucktail won't work in. Just comes down to what, when and presentation.

When I fish the canal, a bucktail with a jig strip is one of the first lure that come out of my bag when there's no surface activity. They cast great, sink to the bottom quick, and great for working the water column.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:43 AM, Dah seee said:

When I fish the canal, a bucktail with a jig strip is one of the first lure that come out of my bag when there's no surface activity. They cast great, sink to the bottom quick, and great for working the water column.

Something you can’t always do with a jig/plastic. So much more versatile 

I could fish with nothing but a bucktail. but where's the fun in only using one lure :) my latest go to is a white bucktail with white over silver keitech paddle tail on the back. have had success with that combo from the canal to montauk to jersey open beach and out on the boat and a variety of fish species (black sea bass, blues, stripers, fluke, etc) 

*edit, i like to get versions with more hair, then can cut hair based on what kind of sink rate you need 

Edited by surfstryker

Been around a long time.  Before the explosive popularity of the Savage Sandeel, these were a staple of many Canal regulars.  Still productive....I think.  I haven't been down there enough over the past few years to see if anyone is still using them lol.  Magic swimmers and paddle tails are "all the rage" now.

Thanks, guys.  Bucktails are indeed a classic and a staple.  They work.   Pork rinds make em even better.  I’m asking if there is a presentation or new technique particular to the setting of the canal.