F1SH

Two piece rod question

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I probably haven't watched that video since they put it out. 45 degrees from reel is roughly what I do.

Furthermore Lou is a hell of a guy and a great rod builder. So, drugs or not party on

3 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

I probably haven't watched that video since they put it out. 45 degrees from reel is roughly what I do.

Furthermore Lou is a hell of a guy and a great rod builder. So, drugs or not party on

Lou probably is a very nice guy...... Just don't know 45 from 90 No big deal Half the people in the tavern are in the same boat

1 hour ago, F1SH said:

What is the proper way to put a two piece rod together so it doesn’t keep twisting and become loose?

Unfortunately my experience has been that regardless of how you fit the two ends together, some rods just loosen much more than others,  for example, I used to have a Mojo that seemed to wiggle loose practically with each second or third cast.  In contrast, my Fronties X virtually never loosens.  I don’t know if this is just sample variation or something specific to the design of the rod.

I keep wanting to say epoxy it and be done. There i said it, but when I had two piece rods I used those small white tea light candles that my wife had millions of. Swipe the male end, misalign push down and twist straight . 

Edited by Mark L

9 hours ago, F1SH said:

What is the proper way to put a two piece rod together so it doesn’t keep twisting and become loose?

You should twist the two pieces into position.

Over the years I found a modest amount of stick glue on the male side to be very helpful in keeping ferrules tight. Stick glue looks like a big chapstick. You can find them at cvs walmart etc where markers, pens and art stuff is located. It’s very cheap. I tried all sorts of other waxes and stuff over the years. Hands down the glue is the best I have used. 
you should clean off the ferrules before joining them. They will wear less and last longer. Alcohol prep pads do the trick then glue then set it. 

14 hours ago, Mark L said:

I keep wanting to say epoxy it and be done. There i said it, but when I had two piece rods I used those small white tea light candles that my wife had millions of. Swipe the male end, misalign push down and twist straight . 

I have a rod where the ferrule loosens while fishing.   there have been occasions where the rid tip flew off during a cast.    Luckily I was able to reel the rod tip back in with the lure.    Since then I have carried the stub of a dinner candlestick that I use to rub onto the male end of the rod and then twist straight.   I haven't had any problems with this rod since.   It works ... 

10 hours ago, redfin said:

You should twist the two pieces into position.

Over the years I found a modest amount of stick glue on the male side to be very helpful in keeping ferrules tight. Stick glue looks like a big chapstick. You can find them at cvs walmart etc where markers, pens and art stuff is located. It’s very cheap. I tried all sorts of other waxes and stuff over the years. Hands down the glue is the best I have used. 
you should clean off the ferrules before joining them. They will wear less and last longer. Alcohol prep pads do the trick then glue then set it. 

Thanks for the advice. Is this permanent joining of a two piece rod? I've tried wrapping with electrical tape but eventually the guides misaligned.