gray gables

Arc fault breakers

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, gray gables said:

They suck, trip way to easy. I blew a gasket the other day at my job while the electrician was there. I tripped a 15amp one four times using my dewalt 12” chop saw. 

Yup. Pure crap.

I had the same problem not long ago. Flipped the breaker twice pulling the trigger on my chop saw, then I hollered for the jobsite sparky. He shrugs his shoulders. I then grabbed my new 15 amp, "soft start" huge router, and plug that into the same spot. Start it up and shut it off twice. He says, "I have an old style breaker in the truck. Do you want me the switch it for you until you're done today?"

Yeah.

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yup. Pure crap.

I had the same problem not long ago. Flipped the breaker twice pulling the trigger on my chop saw, then I hollered for the jobsite sparky. He shrugs his shoulders. I then grabbed my new 15 amp, "soft start" huge router, and plug that into the same spot. Start it up and shut it off twice. He says, "I have an old style breaker in the truck. Do you want me the switch it for you until you're done today?"

Yeah.

My small size Fein vacuum tripped it, my small mak air compressor tripped a circuit. They are complete garbage imo. 

I have a four outlet power block with its own circuit breaker I often use, especially on inside jobsites. 15 amp I think. Not sure that it would trip ahead of a balky arc fault breaker, but is always easier to reset my block than to go to electrical box.... Reminds me I need to get it back from the landscape contractor I lent it to on a seawall project we did....

2 hours ago, nightfighter said:

I have a four outlet power block with its own circuit breaker I often use, especially on inside jobsites. 15 amp I think. Not sure that it would trip ahead of a balky arc fault breaker, but is always easier to reset my block than to go to electrical box...

:idea: That's a great idea.

4 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Sure they have , was a requirement as early as 1999

My house was built in 01-02. The ones in my panel aren’t the same as the ones just installed in my current job. 200 amp service in my house also. 

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

They suck.

I've had some luck putting a bunch of cords together where the saws are setup.

Run the power through about 200ft. of cord first seems to help....no idea why.:huh:

Yeah that makes no sense at all. 

9 hours ago, SC said:

I never tripped an arc fault breaker in 15 plus years

Then you haven't experienced a compressor cycling on while your tablesaw, and/ or mitersaw and/or vacuum were in use at the same time on the same circuit.... It is why I use the power block, which is just a contractor's power strip in my opinion. Tools some of us use draw a lot of power coming on.... some worse than others. 

On 12/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, gray gables said:

They suck, trip way to easy. I blew a gasket the other day at my job while the electrician was there. I tripped a 15amp one four times using my dewalt 12” chop saw. 

Why not find a 20 amp circuit? 

Don't blame the sparkies for the arc faults.

It's code, and  it raised prices of house wiring among other things. 

16 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Why not find a 20 amp circuit? 

Don't blame the sparkies for the arc faults.

It's code, and  it raised prices of house wiring among other things. 

By code every circuit has to have them. Wouldn't matter if it was a 20amp breaker.