Southport Mike L

Sealing

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I  usually thin mine 50/50. It tends to thicken up after a while on it's own before it needs to be thinned again. I don't mix up huge amounts as I don't want it to get stepped on to many times. You'll start losing the ratio after 2-3 thinings. It doesn't matter if using gloss or flat as I do a light sanding after sealing just to knock off any nubs. I also double dip with 2-3 days in between. This is just how I do it, I'm sure others will chime in with another way to skin the cat, and then some that use epoxy to seal. Find what works for you !  :th:

I used 50/50 mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil for years and was reluctant to try epoxy but now I wouldn’t do it any other way. First is it hardens the wood better allowing you to rework or sand and making it more bullet proof. Second is they are ready for paint much sooner and will never bleed out in extreme heat. A cheap spinner set up will help. 

Not the gloss. Has wax in it to make it shiny. I thin 70/30 with mineral spirits. Also buy the quarts if your in Ma. Or any other state that requires it to be VOC compliant.  gallons have to be VOC compliant but not quarts. The compliant  product is not the same stuff. Quarts are more expensive but that’s life. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

Second @Steel Pulse, also the satin is usually slightly cheaper so a bit of a savings there too. I usually dip and then allow to drip back into the container and then wipe off the excess on the outside. This helps to keep the sanding down to a minimum after it cures up.

Yes I let drip dry for about 10 minutes after soaking for  an hour or so and wipe away excess. Your really interested mostly in sealing the internal areas. The outside will get painted and epoxied so that is not as important.