HugeDinghy

“Lived experiences”

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I’ve heard it a number of times now. Almost always in regard to something colored. Some woke term it seems as in the context of how I’ve heard it. 

what the hell is it? 

Aren’t experienced lived, that’s how they became experiences? 

It implies that there are unlived experiences. And that’s contradictory. Sound like a woke thing :read: I bet Max can help. 

28 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I’ve heard it a number of times now. Almost always in regard to something colored. Some woke term it seems as in the context of how I’ve heard it. 

what the hell is it? 

Aren’t experienced lived, that’s how they became experiences? 

They’re always coming up with codewords and phrases.

1 min ago, charloots said:

They’re always coming up with codewords and phrases.

That’s why I ask. I know there’s something behind it. Why else would they come up with a term  that doesn’t need to exist. 

i work for a university and within the last year or two, i've had training that informed me there are now "multiple truths." i bet this is in the same vein as that, which i'm pretty sure is a qualifier that means "no one can call bs" on whatever comes out of the speaker's mouth next.

but beyond that, i would say the justification for the nuance here is that there are experiences you gain from seeing what happens to friends, family and others, and then there are the experiences that happen to you personally, thus "lived experiences."

Edited by rocco

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

That’s why I ask. I know there’s something behind it. Why else would they come up with a term  that doesn’t need to exist. 

seems more like that ever changing corporate jargon....

like out are mission statements and in are north stars.

Edited by fish'nmagician

1 min ago, rocco said:

i work for a university and within the last year or two, i've had training that informed me there are now "multiple truths." i bet this is in the same vein as that, which i'm pretty sure is a qualifier that means "no one can call bs" on whatever comes out of the speaker's mouth next.

but beyond that, i would say the justification for the nuance here is that there are experiences you gain from seeing what happens to friends, family and others, and then there are the experiences that happen to you personally. 

Multiple truths would be a good band name