Capt.Castafly

Bewildered, It's a Mystery, Need help?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Several days ago I found two piles of loam on my backyard lawn that was not there the day before. It had to happen sometime over the night by some animal.  I raked the loam out and spread it around my lawn. Wouldn’t you know, the next night two more piles of loam appeared, one almost in the same exact spot, but smaller,  the other, next to some edging and flower bed. Close inspection revealed no holes or borrows nearby, no evidence of broken ground anywhere.   

I’ve never seen this happen before and now it’s happen two nights in a row. I’m wondering what animal it is, what are they looking for, food, place to relocate?

Facts

All piles are loam so whatever they are digging, is only on the surface layer.

Where is the loam coming from? No broken areas in my yard.

Looked for tracks, there are none and ground is moist. A heavy animal would leave tracks.

No feces around to identify.

All piles have clean edges, like someone dropped a shovel full. No other signs of dirt around the piles to indicate starching and pawning.

I do have chipmunks around, could be some air vents or escape routes, but that’s a lot of dirt for a small animal to move and pile.

I wish I had a trail cam.

Last night I went out several times during the night and found nothing happening.

The last few pictures were taken the second night.

Obviously I’m look for help and insight. I doubt this has happened to anybody before.

Any theories about what animal it may be?

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

"Fresh mounds of soil that appear suddenly in the yard are an unsettling sight. They are a sure sign of animal activity. If there is no visible hole connected to the mound, there are only two possible culprits: gophers and moles." - google

Known animals in the area...coyotes but I've never seen one on my property.

Turkeys, rabbits, raccoon, possum, squirrel, geese, fox, deer.

Last couple of day I've seen turkey vultures flying very low.

I doubt a gopher.... where's the hole. Are they in RI?

Probably not a gopher/woodchuck, they are hibernating now and pretty much in a coma.  May be a mole but that's a lot of dirt and I would think you'd see a hole in or under that mound. 

By the way, next time can you take a pic with leaves and branches on your lawn so I can feel somewhat good about myself?

5 hours ago, giant basshole said:

Cool rock walls.

Years ago my property was an old dairy farm before it got sub-divided into three (2) acre lots.

I own the property between the two stone walls about 30 feet apart, 100 yard long that use to be a cattle run.

Cows would follow it down  to get to the pond.

The opening in my wall (in the pictures) once had a chain across to keeps cows out of the meadow.  

I have a 300 year old cemetery on top of the hill over looking the pond.

Most burial stones read from the Job Greene Family descendants.

3 hours ago, Dreamland said:

Probably not a gopher/woodchuck, they are hibernating now and pretty much in a coma.  May be a mole but that's a lot of dirt and I would think you'd see a hole in or under that mound. 

By the way, next time can you take a pic with leaves and branches on your lawn so I can feel somewhat good about myself?

I agree with that. Most woodchucks stay home after dark. I had some, but I have not seen one this year. I shot a few in prior years.