MAArcher

Question on replacing Ferrule on an old tuna rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have a pair of very old unbranded tuna rods that still seem good, but the collet nut on them has a course thread that makes them uncomeatable with any of the Pac Bay/AFTCO rod butts.  So I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the old ferrules and collet nut and replace with new ones?  These are large #6 / 130lb class.   I have no rod building experience.   But I'm hoping that maybe the adhesive used to attach the old ferrules is maybe something that can be softened by a heat gun and separated from the rod?  Or is it likely that epoxy was used and the only way to remove them would be to use a Dremel tool and cut and grind away?  

Any advice appreciated!

I have done this many times.  I simply lay the heat gun on something non flammable snd turn it. Place the ferrul you want to crack off directly in front.  Your going to need to move the position a few times so the heat is distributed evenly. Typically,  the glue and moisture inside will make a popping sound as it gets hot.  Some smoke is also normal.  Grab the ferrul with a pair of pliers, vice grips, or channel locks and twist off.  Please be careful! Overheating the blank may cause it to fail, its unlikely on a 130 class blank but something to be aware of.  Do you have replacement ferruls?

10 mins ago, tbush said:

I have done this many times.  I simply lay the heat gun on something non flammable snd turn it. Place the ferrul you want to crack off directly in front.  Your going to need to move the position a few times so the heat is distributed evenly. Typically,  the glue and moisture inside will make a popping sound as it gets hot.  Some smoke is also normal.  Grab the ferrul with a pair of pliers, vice grips, or channel locks and twist off.  Please be careful! Overheating the blank may cause it to fail, its unlikely on a 130 class blank but something to be aware of.  Do you have replacement ferruls?

Thanks for the info.  I don't have ferrules yet, but I think I can get them on line  https://www.therodworks.com.au/fishing-rod-components/reel-seats/aluminium-butts/aftco-ferrule-collet-nut.html

1 hour ago, tbush said:

Are you in Australia or the states?

Just realized why you asked that.   That was just the first website I grabbed.  Theres a number that sell the AFTCO parts.  mudhole.com seems like a good one.

21 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Just realized why you asked that.   That was just the first website I grabbed.  Theres a number that sell the AFTCO parts.  mudhole.com seems like a good one.

Check you inbox.

I've removed ferrules by first clamping them horizontally in my bench vice, then I use a micro torch in my left hand and pull the rod with my right.  It doesn't take long.  Keep pulling until the glue/expoxy releases and remove the heat.