Tomm24

Two old rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

These are two rods that belonged to my grandmother in law. The first one has no markings on it or the  shealth or aluminum tube. The reel I bought to go with the rods. The other is a Wright  and McGill any ideas on how old they may be?

4244A41C-542D-471D-89F3-5259AA0B4F6E.jpeg

1B6417DD-B4CC-4840-8A64-299D0237432C.jpeg

2BE97514-82FD-4555-943B-334221382730.jpeg

F420EE84-6EF5-4A29-8CD5-55CD6B15F65A.jpeg

69A50F4E-B781-4D8E-A680-B545E53B1BCB.jpeg

C424E9AB-432F-41F1-9E56-5AD5E01422FB.jpeg

74BA19B4-DDE5-4BB3-8CB5-65CE0CC337E4.jpeg

4DBFA7A8-CB5F-4C42-9129-B3DE1DB3EAB9.jpeg

D594F532-31C1-4617-BEA9-262907D97338.jpeg

Not sure of the age the bamboo but I would think 1920s- 1940s. I believe they stopped using the intermediate wraps on bamboo somewhere around the mid 1940s. Also I see the snake guides are English twist so it makes me think it is an earlier era rod.

Wraps at the grip look like it could be a H L Leonard but not sure. if you post it on classic fly rod forum someone may be able to help you with both.

if you post it there make sure you get close up shots of the ferrules and reel seat hardware. It helps to determine make and age

the Wright McGill 3A-7 1/2  is an All American series rod and the clown wraps look like they may be original. I would guess mid 1950s- 60s.

Good luck!

What length is the bamboo?

OK rod number one the only thing keeping me from saying it's a Leonard is the lack of clear markings on the reel seat . But as an educated guess I think it's a Leonard every thing else is a no brainer . To date it's tough without the markings . Best guess's would place between the turn of the century till the 40's . The cane tube is for the tips which Leonard was fond of using . It's a lovely rod either way it dated properly { very tough without the markings } it's in very good to mint condition other than the reel seat. Simply put it's value is way up there if all the dots were connected . Till then you have a nice fishable cane rod . 

The other rod is pretty much cut and dried as to what it is . I'd put the age in the 50's . 

11 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

I personally would be very leery about fishing a very old cane rod. Especially if it is one which has value..

mike

But Mike to catch a fish on it … 

On the second picture there are letters stamped on the reel seat cap. I can make out an ‘O’ then a space followed by “MA” then maybe a ‘N’ and a ‘Y’.  Hopefully there are enough letters to identify the maker.  It is amazing to me that very often the cork on these vintage rods is better than many of today’s new rods. The sections look to be the same size which helps value wise.  The entire length will factor into the value as well.  There is good advice above as to where the experts hang out to get lots of info.  Your grandma in law did a great job preserving this stuff.  Remember, bamboo is a grass.

Reel seat on rod one doesn't look right to me.  Just as a layman rodbuilder.  Components look cheap and the seat isn't what I'd expect it to be.  You have to remember it took an expert fly rod builder who built all their tools by hand in the process of building the rod at least 6 months to produce one single rod.  The Abercrombie reel is a nice one for the senses.  Their flagship store in NYC sold the best fishing and outdoor gear of it's day.  Not the homosexual nonsense espoused today

The telltale on the Bamboo is the “Blonde” reel seat. It is absolutely period correct for either a HL Leonard or an FE Thomas. 
The relatively short cork is also an indication of excellence. Then toss in a bamboo rod tube with the correct cap. 
You’ve got something very special and it should be placed in front of an appraiser. As this appears to be a pre fire Leonard. 

How about that Abercrombie & Fitch reel? I did a search and found this one on another site.3i1FLNN.jpg.17521c378444cc9fd47d41ed2531e2ed.jpgSomebody wrote that it was probably made for A&F by Hardy as it closely resembles the Hardy Uniqua reel that was popular for a few decades in the early 1900's. 

@Suave the OP's A&F reel (shown in the first post) was made by Horton Mfg (Bristol, CT).  Do a search on Meek 54 fly reels and you'll see a match.  It's patterned after the Hardy Uniqua, but the latch is different (among other things, such as the handle post).  Hardy also made reels for A&F, and the one you posted looks like it might be one of those (can't tell without seeing more details).

Edited by East Coaster
Typo