onthefly

Nj/Pa Kayak conclave?

13 posts in this topic

Do kayakers on the form ever have a spring or Summer get together? It would be interesting to see what people are using, how they have rigged them up. We could even do test paddle if your new to kayaking or wanting to switch brands/ models. Could do it at a lake or maybe Raritan bay somewhere. just and idea.

The Jamaica Bay Tournament sorta filled that slot as I understand it.  Never went myself, but it was popular. Don't know the current status.

18 hours ago, onthefly said:

Might be worth a visit kind of wanted to stay out of new york

I hear ya, I live right across the river from NYC and have never fished JB, the traffic getting there is insane.

I think it’s a great idea! I’m in for a spring get together…it’d be cool if we could do a freshwater and saltwater (backbay as suggested. 
spruce run, round valley or Hopatcong for freshwater locations? 

Could it be done during spring fling that's usually in seaside park I think at least the one I attended years ago could do inside island beach park Bayside area 15 I think protected waters

1 hour ago, onthefly said:

Agree Leonardo state marina has parking and a beach to launch from

It’s not really legal to launch from the beach on the ammunition pier side of the marina. You could find yourself looking up the barrel of a 50 cal. machine gun.

8 mins ago, onthefly said:

Wasn't sure I've seen kayaks on that beach never launched myself used the boat ramp for my skiff

I’ve done it a few times myself but it is a risk. I got away with it but I know it’s really not legal. I always made sure to stay as close to the marina jetty as possible. You do not want to go towards that pier or they will come after you.

I know to well my engine died coming in to ramp I drifted a little close to pier really not that bad a gun boat with guns were on us.  I found gas line came off so quickly got going again. 

5 mins ago, onthefly said:

I know to well my engine died coming in to ramp I drifted a little close to pier really not that bad a gun boat with guns were on us.  I found gas line came off so quickly got going again. 

I waded out on low tide one time several hundred yards off that beach casting toward the pier. I didn’t realize I was walking closer to the pier than I should have. I was too focused on catching fish and not paying attention. That gray navy boat with the machine gun came out to greet me. Luckily I only got a warning. I have heard that some fishermen get all their fishing gear confiscated and a fine too.