mybeach

Are children still being taught basic Arithmetic?

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, BordnBeachBill said:

I go out of my way to mess with a teenage cashier, buy something for 4.27$ and give them a twenty and two quarters.

It ain't just now... One day back in the late 90's I was working in New Haven for SNET and while on my lunch break I decided to get some whole bean coffee from a coffee shop near Yale which employed students from the surrounding colleges. Unfortunately for the owner of the shop a brief lightening storm had knocked out the power and subsequently 'frazzled' the electric scales ability to do the math on price per pound. It could only do the weight. No employee could figure out what to charge people (it was a fill your own bag place) in increments other than a pound so no matter what you brought they were charging you the pound price so I got 1.7 pounds of $14.99/lb coffee for $14.99 . I even told them how to do it but they said this was the quickest way for them to figure it out. The cash registers were hosed too but I took mercy on them and gave them $15 and told them to keep the change :laugh:

3 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

It ain't just now... One day back in the late 90's I was working in New Haven for SNET and while on my lunch break I decided to get some whole bean coffee from a coffee shop near Yale which employed students from the surrounding colleges. Unfortunately for the owner of the shop a brief lightening storm had knocked out the power and subsequently 'frazzled' the electric scales ability to do the math on price per pound. It could only do the weight. No employee could figure out what to charge people (it was a fill your own bag place) in increments other than a pound so no matter what you brought they were charging you the pound price so I got 1.7 pounds of $14.99/lb coffee for $14.99 . I even told them how to do it but they said this was the quickest way for them to figure it out. The cash registers were hosed too but I took mercy on them and gave them $15 and told them to keep the change :laugh:

Kept your karma kool for a penny? That coffee wouldn't taste right. The only metric measure I ever used in HS was those hand held pot scales, I knew all about grams and Oz's.

They are being taught Arithmetic,  but not how we were taught. Many schools use the Chicago Method of mathematics ( Everday Math, etc. ).

It doesn't follow a gradual progression of concepts we had. It jumps around. 

It was developed at Chicago University as a way to improve scores of kids that may not ( and may never ) have mathematical ability.

Eventually, they have to learn traditional methods and it's a shock to their system.

For example, 

Kids are using this multiplication method in many schools. It's insanity.

11 hours ago, BordnBeachBill said:

Bought a 25' tape measure, didn't realize half was in metric, half inches, wasted a lot of lumber using that POS.

tossed 2 saws before you realized it was the tape? :laugh:

11 hours ago, The Ghost of 9915 said:

My dad, being a machinist/inspector, taught me the decimals.  Fractions suck. 

Fractions do suck. I'm a tradesman and I'll admit I can't add fractions to save my life. This also means I can't add feet and inches. As far as I'm concerned, the construction calculator is the greatest thing ever invented. When I have to use paper and pencil, I use decimals. One day I was figuring out a measurement using decimals, and the guy I was working with was disgusted. He said "This aint Europe, kid", and proceed to do the measurement in fractions. He blew it. The decimals nailed it.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Eff fractions, let's go metrics!! 

It really is just that simple.

21 mins ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Fractions do suck. I'm a tradesman and I'll admit I can't add fractions to save my life. This also means I can't add feet and inches. As far as I'm concerned, the construction calculator is the greatest thing ever invented. When I have to use paper and pencil, I use decimals. One day I was figuring out a measurement using decimals, and the guy I was working with was disgusted. He said "This aint Europe, kid", and proceed to do the measurement in fractions. He blew it. The decimals nailed it.

Has nothing to do with Europe, and should have everything to do with the fact that human beings are Base10 creatures.