mybeach

Are children still being taught basic Arithmetic?

Rate this topic

159 posts in this topic

Are they? Do they teach anything without using a computer?

 

Look, I get it, I'm old. Big deal.

 

Do they teach times tables? Long division? 

 

Most importantly, fractions?

 

How to read a ruler?

 

Damn, they keep trying to put these kids in the field with me, but, other than physical labor, they really are not much help.

 

I figure a guy that wears a tape measure on his belt knows how to use it. I was wrong. 

 

3 guys so far, from 3 different backgrounds, all in their 20's.

 

And I asked a couple of the girls in the office, too. None of them know how to do fractions. None of them were capable of adding  9/16 to an inch inch and a half.

 

None of them.

 

I asked the kid to set up the table saw to rip a piece down to 1.5 inches. Nope. It was very quiet for like 10 minutes. I went outside to figure out what was taking so long, I'm pretty sure he was bleeding from the ears trying to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hired a kid out of a local vo tech and the kid was totally useless. USELESS. 

 

My kids learn math for sure. Fractions, long division, multiplication. How to read a tape measure...not so much. But, Wifey has worked with them on it. They do learn math differently then we did as kids....it is confusing for my old brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

Mexicans 

White kids are useless.

 

One is Puerto Rican. Nope. No good for anything that requires braining. 

 

One is white, he was late because he got pulled over for being alone in the HOV lane. $175 ticket. I bet he can't calculate how many hours he has to work to pay for that lol. 

 

It's not just lately, either. I don't think anyone younger than 50 has been taught that stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Chunkah said:

I hired a kid out of a local vo tech and the kid was totally useless. USELESS. 

 

My kids learn math for sure. Fractions, long division, multiplication. How to read a tape measure...not so much. But, Wifey has worked with them on it. They do learn math differently then we did as kids....it is STUPID!

Fify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wanted to teach these kids, but it would require sending them back to 3rd grade to start over. 

 

The one kid simply could not figure out what an inch and a half was.

 

Here kid, sweep up the sawdust. Stay out of my way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a construction firm. Everything we do requires math. Regular math. Basic math. Grade school math. What the hell are they doing in school?

 

Anyway, I guess I'll keep trying. Maybe someone will pick it up. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My job is math intensive. You would be surprised how many people cannot do basic math.  It's amazing and sad. 

 

I see on the book of faces these "difficult" math questions. Like "2+5(3x3)"

 

The answer is 47 because of PEMDAS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, mybeach said:

This is a construction firm. Everything we do requires math. Regular math. Basic math. Grade school math. What the hell are they doing in school?

 

Anyway, I guess I'll keep trying. Maybe someone will pick it up. 

 

 

I bet the can program your phone!

 

Or kick your ass in call of duty!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, The Ghost of 9915 said:

My job is math intensive. You would be surprised how many people cannot do basic math.  It's amazing and sad. 

 

I see on the book of faces these "difficult" math questions. Like "2+5(3x3)"

 

The answer is 47 because of PEMDAS. 

How is that 47 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.