mml4

Cut/Open Eye Trebles

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have been cutting replacement trebles (VMC 9626 or Owner ST66) for years to replace stock hooks that I considered either too weak or too small. I do so to avoid the use of extra split rings which I believe drops the hook too low. My question is have any of you who do the same had the eye of either a cut or open eye hook open on a fish.

Marc

Most popular sizes are available in "short shank" versions. It's pretty common for hooks to break after they've been cut, mostly as they are being rebent to the closed possession. Use a short shank and split ring. Having a ring between the hook and hanger reduces the chances of bind up as the fish thrashes.

1 hour ago, mml4 said:

My question is have any of you who do the same had the eye of either a cut or open eye hook open on a fish.

No, never

I have had split rings fail

6 hours ago, mml4 said:

I have been cutting replacement trebles (VMC 9626 or Owner ST66) for years to replace stock hooks that I considered either too weak or too small. I do so to avoid the use of extra split rings which I believe drops the hook too low. My question is have any of you who do the same had the eye of either a cut or open eye hook open on a fish.

Marc

Never

Same here, Never happened, the bend in the eyelet has such a small dia which adds to its strength & when you Cut & install them right there is very, very little to no bending involved....

I use a Dremel cut off wheel & a bench vise to spring the hook eye open not bending open than bending closed.....I don't ever break hooks the way I do it....:why:

7 hours ago, XBMX said:

Most popular sizes are available in "short shank" versions. they've been cut, mostly as they aIt's pretty common for hooks to break after re being rebent to the closed possession. Use a short shank and split ring. Having a ring between the hook and hanger reduces the chances of bind up as the fish thrashes.

I have stopped trying to bend hooks open and closed using the twist method or trying to open the cut eye with a punch. Since they changed the metal content rules in Europe my favorite hooks have become too brittle. Dremel makes a quick change cutting disk that makes a slot big enough for a typical swivel eye to fit through. I then close the eye using my arbor press by standing the hook vertically, supported by the three hook bends on the bottom and pressing on the top of the eye. I then seal the slot using a drop of the UV light cured instant glue. It's like sealing the slot with glass. Sounds like a lot but only takes a moment and really slows the rate of rusting.

The reason for my original question was while watching a You Tube video on rigging SP's several guys in the comment section laughed at the practice of cutting hooks.  I figured I would check with you guys!

Marc

Edited by mml4

47 mins ago, mml4 said:

The reason for my original question was while watching a You Tube video on rigging SP's several guys in the comment section laughed at the practice of cutting hooks.

That's because MOST people don't understand geometry & strength dynamics....:dismay:

46 mins ago, pattycakes said:

You only use cut hooks on plugs with swiveling hook hangers right? 

I have used cut hooks on the Yozuri Surface Cruisers direct with no swivel and no split ring in the past with no problem. I tried that years ago on a Mag Darter and had the through wire pull free of the body on a rather small fish.

Marc

1 hour ago, mml4 said:

I have used cut hooks on the Yozuri Surface Cruisers direct with no swivel and no split ring in the past with no problem. I tried that years ago on a Mag Darter and had the through wire pull free of the body on a rather small fish.

Marc

Are you worried about the hook getting caught on the hanger and bending out? Ive always felt better with the extra rotation that you get from a split ring from my largemouth fishing.

2 hours ago, mml4 said:

Marc

Think about removing a nail from a board. Once you get the claw of the hammer or pry bar under the head of the nail, the easiest part is the beginning when the point of leverage (head of the nail) is at its lowest point.

Now, think instead about a really long nail that’s hammered halfway into a board but 5” still sticks out. You can’t get the claw on the nail head and still get the head of the hammer on the wood. You can pull but can’t exert leverage. 

Hanging hooks closer to the body of a plug allows the fish to exert much more leverage against the hook/hanger/etc. 

2 mins ago, big popper said:

i don't like the way the cut end rusts 

Me too. But I usually replace them every winter anyway and I haven’t had a cut hook rust so bad that it had to go before the end of Fall.

Without a cut, sometimes they look fine and last through two seasons but I try to just replace them. When experimenting with cutting & bending open trebles, I used old hooks removed from plugs as my first go round. There were a few that I replaced that still looked totally fine and I knew were probably on the third season so they came off anyway. Some of those broke clean through the other eye bend when cutting. Other ones broke trying to lightly twist/spring the cut eye open to slide on a swivel. I don’t think any of the two or three year old hooks were capable of getting cut & swivel treatment without breaking in the process. 

Even the uncut trebles get brittle over time even if they’re not cut and it shows as white stuff instead of red/brown rust. Try it yourself and you will see.