SnoozeFishing

Looking for a rock rod

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm looking to build a rock rod over the winter. I've had everything from 9' Century KNE to now owning a 9' Evolution. I've never worried about durability before until I owned this evo. I'm always worried if I'm putting too much high sticking pressure when I'm high up on a rock. My builder and the opinions on this forum say to stay away from rocks with this rod as its not meant for it, I just love the way it feels with the lures I use, I'm fishing 3/4 - 1 1/2 bucktails and sluggos 98% of the time. Any recommendations that will give me a similar feel with durability, or should I just not worry about it and take the risk? Thanks.

P.S I only want a 1 piece. 

1 min ago, t_man7 said:

Do not fish an evolution around rocks.

Can do, and will continue to do. No worries in the world. 

If you are that concerned OP the Nex 1 that was mentioned is a solid option. Not sure if it will feel the same.

12 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Do not fish an evolution around rocks.

What’s the reason? Is it just the thickness of the rod or materials used, is it really that fragile. I don’t imagine most rods would do well smashing against a rock. 

8 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

What’s the reason? Is it just the thickness of the rod or materials used, is it really that fragile. I don’t imagine most rods would do well smashing against a rock. 

Fragile, very thin blank.  It will work but there are better options in my opinion.  
If you take a fall, and chip the blank it will explode on the cast.

856166AB-DD2D-459F-A197-6CCDC95B63DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Hey, I'm looking to build a rock rod over the winter. I've had everything from 9' Century KNE to now owning a 9' Evolution. I've never worried about durability before until I owned this evo. I'm always worried if I'm putting too much high sticking pressure when I'm high up on a rock. My builder and the opinions on this forum say to stay away from rocks with this rod as its not meant for it, I just love the way it feels with the lures I use, I'm fishing 3/4 - 1 1/2 bucktails and sluggos 98% of the time. Any recommendations that will give me a similar feel with durability, or should I just not worry about it and take the risk? Thanks.

Why wouldn't you fish with something you love?

3 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

The rod knows when you're on rocks?

As long as you don't drop it why should they be avoided?

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 hour ago, dbech said:

Can do, and will continue to do. No worries in the world. 

If you are that concerned OP the Nex 1 that was mentioned is a solid option. Not sure if it will feel the same.

I just got a custom 10' evo and got a 10' nex1 trimmed 6 inches from the top in the spring. Caught a ton of fish on the nex1. Beat it up. Handles everything. The Evo I havent fished much but I remember speaking to one of the guys from ODM and said a similar type of thing. The nex1 is their rock jetty blank as he described. The action of the two feels very similar, the Evo does fling stuff a little further it feels....but I love them both. ODM had my heart as of now lol. 

1 hour ago, t_man7 said:

Fragile, very thin blank.  It will work but there are better options in my opinion.  
If you take a fall, and chip the blank it will explode on the cast.

856166AB-DD2D-459F-A197-6CCDC95B63DA.jpeg

Wow,that's interesting,,,,,, I see the brand mentioned here a lot,glad I have no interest in them.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter