nfnDrum

Best method to cut a butt.

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I ordered a 10ft casting rod and may decide to shorten it. Whats the best method to cutting the butt down. I was thinking metal cut off blade, dremel type blade, something that sands through. 

Dremel with cut off disc or an ordinary angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. Angle grinder is easier.

Shortneing because the reel positoin is too high? use a pair pf hose clamps to experiment before you commit to cutting.

I agree with @ZAFisher  on if you need to do it and finding the specs first. 

Also, if/when you find the right length/reel position/etc and start to cut:

Whatever the method (I have used both hacksaw & Dremel) I would rotate the blank as you cut until you have a clean edge around & then let ‘er rip. 

Mind you, I was cutting blanks for different reasons but the clean cut would be important regardless. 

3 hours ago, Pierce said:

Why ordered a 10ft rod then decide to cut it?  Return and exchange for a shorter version.

Shorter versions of the same rod series tend to have lighter line/lure ratings. A pet pev of mine with rod manufacturers.

A triangular file with teeth on the point, or a hacksaw blade, draw the blade backwards so the teeth don't catch the fibers. This method is old school as hell but why change something that works.

Like Eric said "rotate the blank as you cut until you have a clean edge around"

Most important, be patient and take your time

Edited by Sudsy

Angle grinder. 115mm cut off disc. 1-3 seconds work. No rotating, no farting about. Straight cut. Done.

Edited by ZAFisher

Just make sure the material doesn't splinter.  I would sand it a bit after possibly.  No burrs.  Maybe even coat it with something if you do run into splintering so it doesn't run.

13 hours ago, unskunk said:

I took 6" off of a 10' Triumph butt with a hacksaw blade.

nice smooth cut ...........

nice rod now.........

This :th: Fine toothed hacksaw blade, nice and slow works wonders and really cheap too. Many of rods have been altered this way, with no bad effects.