Billl nye

Feather emporium?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Has anyone purchased flatwing saddles from feather emporium?  I looked up reviews and the results were a little concerning.  Some people have no problems while others wait months and never receive their feathers which makes me nervous to pull the trigger.  Those who did receive their order seem to have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the hackle.  If you have purchased from them would you feel comfortable buying there again?  

Edited by Billl nye

I have purchased things from them (not flat wing stuff tho) and been happy. 

I did ask about them on a Spey related site and was warned strongly about buying from them (I had already made my purchase by that time). Again, no issues on my end but multiple people did not have good things to say. 

I'm in the UK and have used them for quite a few flatwing and dryfly capes over the years. So far I've been very happy with what I've received. 

I'm pretty sure you can return items if they are not what you wanted?

Thanks for the replies

Have either of you made any recent purchases there?

I am more concerned with receiving my order versus the quality.  You do tend to see a lot of negative responses about their customer service but I wonder how many people actually have bought from them versus are repeating what they had read.  I will probably make an order but use paypal in case I run into trouble.

Edited by Billl nye

29 mins ago, Billl nye said:

Thanks for the replies

Have either of you made any recent purchases there?

I am more concerned with receiving my order versus the quality.  You do tend to see a lot of negative responses about their customer service but I wonder how many people actually have bought from them versus are repeating what they had read.  I will probably make an order but use paypal in case I run into trouble.

This past May or so, I made purchases. 

Edited by Drew C.

I did not order from him earlier this year, because he was quite honest in telling me that he did not have hackles of either the correct structure/length or the colors I was looking for.  This honesty impressed me.  Conversely, after the conversation I ordered from Whiting several "Eurohackle fashion packs", and was very disappointed to find that the hackles, while of sufficient length, were indeed dry fly width hackles - I called Whiting and was pretty much told that eurohackles are dry fly hackles, which was certainly not the case back in the days when the Fly Hatch, Down-n-Trout and Kenny Abrames were competing with Whiting by producing their own dyed saddles from various sources, including Whiting. In response, Whiting started producing Flatwing, Eurohackle and R&D hackles for Flatwing tiers. 

I stated some recommendations in this thread:

Saddle hackle for flatwings - Fly Tying Forum - SurfTalk (stripersonline.com)

Edited by FlatWing

It’s a reputable company who I never had problems with . The fish don’t know the difference . Basically to me the key to tying my own , is how they cast not how pretty they look . 

Bought from once. Paid for some whiting dry fly capes. Communication was shoddy as their was no confirmation they shipped. I forget if it was pay pal or a card but money was exchanged. Capes showed eventually but they were just in a bag so I have know idea if they were actual whiting bronze grade capes. The quality of the feathers was very good and what I would expect from whiting, the price was good I believe. I probably would not do business with him again though.

I know you are looking for actual customer experience. That’s not me but I don’t ever recall reading of a situation where someone who placed their order directly to the proprietor by phone was unhappy.  The complaints against FE seem to be from internet orders.

I'vé had a mixed experience from them five years ago when I decided to go into tying flatwings. I ordered a few times from them, strictly online, and mostly half flatwing  saddles (I don't tie commercially) but  a few full saddles so a few hundreds dollars worth of feathers. And I received quite a bit of  good stuff but also  less good stuff, hackles really  too thin to be considered flatwing hackles. And on on one order, I received a yellow grizzly half-saddle instead of the "plain" yellow I had ordered. So I called them up to say "hey" you made a mistake. And the answer: send it back and we'll send you  a plain yellow one. So I did after looking up their website for their address. And sent the thing back and it came back with wrong address written on it and I checked and I had the right address. I don't know who was responsible for this but I do know that the few times I have indeed received something I did not ordered on the Internet and I called, I was told to keep it and I would be sent what I had  ordered,      

Edited by Suave
Typos

6 hours ago, Squish said:

I had a very bad experience and will never buy from him again.

Ditto.  I bought from him 2 years ago.  I knew of his bad reputation, but he had feathers that I couldn’t find elsewhere.  When the package arrived, I opened it and immediately took photos of what arrived.  Incomplete order.  I inquired and he gave me flak.  I told him that I knew his reputation and would immediately get my credit card after him, then contacted my card and started a dispute.  He agreed to a return / refund.  

To get what I needed, I then called Whiting, who hooked me up with a Colorado flyshop that filled my order with feathers direct from the farm.  

Thanks again for all the responses 

I am being lured into placing an order at feather emporium because I have been unable to find any flatwing hackle in local fly shops other than the hareline stuff which is very limited in color options.  I’ll probably try to stop by saltwater edge over the next couple days and see what they have but the color variety and availability of half saddles is making me think I’ll roll the dice and place an order if I can’t find what I need locally.  

@flatwing I searched some of the sites you listed but unfortunately none of them appeared to have what I was looking for.  I did see some dark barred ginger capes I might buy for dry fly tying though the prices on Jim’s fly co were very good!  The Herbert miner stuff looks quite nice but are a bit expensive as you had mentioned.

Edited by Billl nye

Billl nye, if you're close enough to go to Saltwater Edge you may want to wait until the big January shows in Edison and Marlborough. Check to see if Keough will be there; if so, that will likely be the best solution for your needs.

Steve Culton