Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2021

Rate this topic

697 posts in this topic

As reported by others, quiet morning. On the beach at 6;30 am and threw in the towel at 9:15. Hit several spots including one beach in that other God forsaken county. At one stop I had a small fish lunge at a swimmer just as I was pulling it out of the wash. Missed the lure and gave me the fin as he disappeared. Similar to @DeeMonee  I had a brief flurry of activity just past the wash. Gulls diving and ducks coming up with what appeared to be sand eels or possibly spearing. Even had a fish roll right in front of me. Could not hook up and it ended as quickly as it started. Didn't see anyone hook up. Might not be able to get back out until Monday.

Same as everyone else's reports from this morning.  Out from about an hour before sunrise to a couple hours after.  Overcast skies, flat seas, and not much of a breeze.  More people on the beach than the last time I was out, but all spread out.

Skunk for me, but I did see a couple guys pick up a short.  There were loons in pretty close so there must be something down there, but I didnt see any bait.  

Joined the masses at 2 OC beaches with SJsurf and his 7-yr old son this AM from 7:30-10.  Same as others reported, lots of feet on the sand and boats running around in circles.  Didn’t see any bent rods on the sand or on the boats.  Was amazed at the amount of water covered by the lone kayaker off the beach with the boat armada.  Impressive.  Talked to a few others who were also skunked, except for the breakfast sammiches at NY Water Bagels.

I may stay local the next few weekends looking for the rat schoolies on the ultralight.

MoCo Last night 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM  Moderate NW winds calm ocean except for 1 to 2 ft swells.   The water was pretty dirty, I took the tail hook off of a Magic Swimmer and replaced it with a feather and peacock flag.   I was wanting to see how it swims with the flag tail but could barely see the swimming action because of the muddy water.    There were some adult bunker around popping up within casting distance but didn't seem like there was anything on them.   Cycled through a number of lures including the Magic Swimmer, Mag Darter and 2 different size SP Minnows.   Not a single bite all night long ...    Only saw one fish caught all night, that was the one @Gatr522 caught.   I was chatting with @Gatr522 for a little while.   Always nice to meet other SOL Members 

21 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Thanks bill, I can always use a few good tips...

I use to carry two size of the sluggo baits.  I used the 4" and 6" in the Alewife color and I kept several weight lead heads (unpainted as the lead head matched the Sluggo color)  I would apply the lead head at the head of the sluggo and not mid section.  You get better natural sand eel action that way and the bass seemed to inhale it.  I never lost many hits using that setup as the bass seemed to want to swallow it.  Just be sure to set the hook fast 

6 hours ago, Loudog said:

Joined the masses at 2 OC beaches with SJsurf and his 7-yr old son this AM from 7:30-10.  Same as others reported, lots of feet on the sand and boats running around in circles.  Didn’t see any bent rods on the sand or on the boats.  Was amazed at the amount of water covered by the lone kayaker off the beach with the boat armada.  Impressive.  Talked to a few others who were also skunked, except for the breakfast sammiches at NY Water Bagels.

I may stay local the next few weekends looking for the rat schoolies on the ultralight.

They are my favorite PEC with sautéed onion bagel sandwiches in town.  Have to call ahead otherwise has a long wait.

Fished this morning OC and caught nothing like everybody else.  Clear water had me checking out the action of some of my plugs.

Had to bring my son up to Totowa for a few hours so I went to Tackle World for the first time.  That place is stuffed with everything.

Alright, shut it down boys. Fished sun up to sun down in OC and MC with my bud. Went all over to close the season out. Find some bird play in close in OC but nada. You can find peanuts if you work hard enough but nada.

Take this for what it's worth but I believe I saw herring today. It was adult bunker sized but not bunker and in the surf. What else could it have been??

44 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Take this for what it's worth but I believe I saw herring today. It was adult bunker sized but not bunker and in the surf. What else could it have been??

Got a lot of hickory shad today in MC, 8-18”?

Decided to finally take a break from the kayak and hit the surf Wednesday in OC 2:30-430. Lots of birds and bass breaking the surface out of casting range but not too far out just never came close enough. Birds and bass were feeding the whole time I was there too. Went out back on kayak today, landed 8 between 28-34 and 2 shorts lost 4 others in that felt keeper size 

5 mins ago, JohnnyK said:

Got a lot of hickory shad today in MC, 8-18”?

It was around 9" but it was swimming with my plug like a fish that schools up. Would a shad do that? I have no idea but it was cool. Water was gin clear 

Made the 3.5 hour trek from MD. Fished from first light to 1:30pm in OC. Much like everyone else, did not get a single bump outside of 2 decent sized shad. Did see 2 shorts get pulled from the surf early in the day, but after that it was a dead zone. Birds diving way out of range and heard a guy in the tackle shop say that he was out on the boat and got 8 keepers before 8:30am. Most likely the last time I get out until the Spring, missed the blitz by a few days I guess.