Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2021

Rate this topic

697 posts in this topic

25 mins ago, EricDice said:

You can also make a thickener with cold water & flour, or room temperature olive oil & flour.

If you use corn starch, gotta get the soup boiling before you’ll see the full thickened effect. Flour starts to set up faster & lower temperature. 

Slurry.  My method of choice. :th:

3 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

It is indeed crazy but the internet tells me the ocean temperature has been on par for what is normal for weeks. Nothing is ever frozen here until January and it snowed yesterday, so it seems like everything is basically 'on par' and yet the results are way up for everyone. The easiest answer is because there is way more bait in close this year but is that because of the temperatures not dropping quickly this year earlier in the season? I don't know, I just like to spit ball.

Water temp in my creek is very different than ocean water temps and it has barely any current. It freezes up before year on a regular basis! Have had to break through ice multiple times to squeeze in some late season tog trips but obviously not this year. Here's a pic on December 23rd a couple years ago. Sometimes I get lucky and a larger boat will make a path for me which minimizes damage to my boat :) 

IMG_5195 (2).JPG

2 hours ago, BrianZ said:

love teh swimming gannet in the screenshot. awesome. 

Didn't mean to imply that I marked any gannets on my fishfinder :D. But I agree that would be awesome if that was the case! 

To echo Mike still quite a few fish around, getting some every outing, boats a few hundred yards off were catching a bunch; by me mostly on herring and still some occasional rainfish 

1 hour ago, Eric_S said:

Water temp in my creek is very different than ocean water temps and it has barely any current. It freezes up before year on a regular basis! Have had to break through ice multiple times to squeeze in some late season tog trips but obviously not this year. Here's a pic on December 23rd a couple years ago. Sometimes I get lucky and a larger boat will make a path for me which minimizes damage to my boat :) 

IMG_5195 (2).JPG

What do you make of the bite being as good as it is given the current ocean temp though? I would be nervous to go out there breaking through ice!

32 mins ago, MC55 said:

Um, not to interrupt the cooking tips, but there are fish out there waiting to be caught!  Haven't been able to get out since Christmas so made my way to the south this morning.  Had lots of gannets working offshore early that did come into casting range a few times but didn't see any fish breaking and couldn't get a bump.  Figured it was time to move so worked my way north.  Found more birds and could see some fish breaking which turned out to be game on.  These fish were really on the move and not in the direction you would think.  This body of fish was heading north at a good clip.  Covered a few miles jumping in and out of the car trying to stay ahead of them.  Finished up with 9 and lost a few more.  Biggest one was just over 28 inches.  They seemed to be feeding on bunker and herring since both were washed up on the sand.  Not a bad late December morning.

DSCF3795.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

DSCF3799.JPG

Very encouraging Mike, especially that I'll be at the shore tomorrow through Saturday.  Blessings!

43 mins ago, MC55 said:

Um, not to interrupt the cooking tips, but there are fish out there waiting to be caught!  Haven't been able to get out since Christmas so made my way to the south this morning.  Had lots of gannets working offshore early that did come into casting range a few times but didn't see any fish breaking and couldn't get a bump.  Figured it was time to move so worked my way north.  Found more birds and could see some fish breaking which turned out to be game on.  These fish were really on the move and not in the direction you would think.  This body of fish was heading north at a good clip.  Covered a few miles jumping in and out of the car trying to stay ahead of them.  Finished up with 9 and lost a few more.  Biggest one was just over 28 inches.  They seemed to be feeding on bunker and herring since both were washed up on the sand.  Not a bad late December morning.

DSCF3795.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

DSCF3799.JPG

Way to go Mike. I'm on the shelf. Got Covid, despite all the shots. Fortunately, its on the mild side. Guess that's because I did get the jabs. So far, my wife is symptom free. I'm staying in one room. Trying to figure out a way to cast from my 2nd story to the beach! Don't think I have enough line on! Anyway, you can have my share of the catch.

2 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Way to go Mike. I'm on the shelf. Got Covid, despite all the shots. Fortunately, its on the mild side. Guess that's because I did get the jabs. So far, my wife is symptom free. I'm staying in one room. Trying to figure out a way to cast from my 2nd story to the beach! Don't think I have enough line on! Anyway, you can have my share of the catch.

Bob, so sorry to hear you got the bug.  Rest up and get better soon.  I'll leave a few out there for ya.

37 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Dang! Get well soon!

I hear it's going around :)

Lots of fish popping up here and there today... they were on the move.  My report is similar to @MC55, but did not catch the #'s he did.  I always felt I was 5 minutes behind the fish.  Drove a lot of miles chasing them.  Wound up with 3 on the day.  However one of the spots the fish popped up at did have some bigger fish. I caught one about 32 in. and a guy next to me had one that looked to be a solid 35 in.  He also hooked up with a couple of others just around 28 in. and I lost a nicer one that shook off. Also had a good fish blow up on a top water... For me the fish were always too far to catch from the sand.  Had to be at the end of a rock pile when they showed and make a long cast to connect.  All in all a good day for late December.

Edited by JimK

Not to turn this into a health thing but I've been down and out for a week. It sucked too since I had to drive all the way back from SC sick as a dog. Had to skip Christmas basically too. I took an at home covid test that was negative and I didn't think it was COVID anyway. Finally got a doctor's appointment and they think it's COVID but I convinced them to give me an antibiotic. One day later and I'm already on the mend. I think I'll feel really good tomorrow. If another here falls deathly ill and thinks it's an URI or something similar, push for an antibiotic and get yourself better. 

Edited by hurricane1091

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Sorry to hear that but glad that at least it's mild. Feel better!

4 hours ago, nam1969 said:

I get the feeling that omicron found the wrong guy and is about to get whooping by the legend we know as nam1969. Feel better and keep us updated.

One more thing. Welcome to the natural immunity club. So good that the government doesnt even acknowledge it exists.

Edited by adams54